Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2k4 remote starter problem

Old March 20th, 2007, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2k4 remote starter problem

I recently purchased a 2k4 Malibu LS V6. From what I understand, the vehicle has a factory remote start. Both the manual and the back of the remote say in order to start lthe vehicle, lock the door by remote and then immediately hold the start button for 2 seconds. The door will lock and then when I press the start button for 2 seconds my alarm with chirp 3 times and the headlights blink. I've gone thru the menu on the radio and it does show that the remote start feature is turned on. Any suggestions?
Old March 20th, 2007, 2:13 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: 2k4 remote starter problem

your salesman should have explained it to you.....for mine push hte lock button 2 times thats TWICE, once to lock the car the other to set hte alarm, then hold the start button for about 5 seconds....not 2 like hte stupid manual says...about 5.....and be within 200-300 feet......or do the chin trick get an extra 60 feet or so from that
Old March 20th, 2007, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks MaxxSS.... but when i try that it will only beep like my alarm is going off.
Old March 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
CF Pro Member

your horn should honk on the sescond 'lock', then holdthe c/start button, for 5 seconds.....if that does not work, some have a feature that it can be disabled, go thru your info centre and see if you can find it and enable it.
Old March 21st, 2007, 12:52 AM
CF Junior Member

I agree it sounds like your starter is disabled, but I dont think you can turn it on through your radio. I think the only thing you can do is have the dealer enable it for you.
Old March 21st, 2007, 8:20 AM
CF Beginner

Inside of my "infocenter" it does have an option to turn on or off the remote start. But it appears that it is already enabled. Is it possible that my model didnt come with a remote start? If so would I still have the option to enable/disable in the infocenter or is that a indication that the vehicle is infact equiped with the starter
Old March 21st, 2007, 1:05 PM
CF Pro Member

does your key fod have the c/start button on the top center, if it does then you have command start, if its enabled then you should be able to start it, now you can only cycle it 2 times and the car wont let you start it byremote any more, go outside start the car with the key.....turn it off...get out.....hit lock twice about 3 seconds apart....then hold the start button top center for 5 seconds or till it starts, if it dont then something wrong....
Old March 22nd, 2007, 2:44 AM
CF Beginner

so i took it to the dealership and they told me that i just dont know how to use it... then they came out and tried it for 5 minutes... to come to the conclusion something is wrong.... the tech says that my remote probably needs reprogrammed because rather than my start button fuctioning correctly... its putting my alarm in panic mode. does anyone know how to reprogram the remote. I had to reprogram the remote for my previos car and it had some crayz process like turn on the car... turn on the flashers... open the driver door... bla bla bla....
Old March 22nd, 2007, 1:47 PM
CF Pro Member

To my knowledge you have to plug a tech 2 into the car and the car has to learn the remote, all the new ones I have done in the last few weeks is this way anyhow, so back to the dealer...and if you did not know how to use it ask your salesman, he should have shown you at delivery and should have figured it out then it was not working.

Shotty workmanship on the dealers behalf not figuring something that simple out, do they not inspect their cars at all....
Old August 18th, 2007, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

i have the same problem any resolution??? Also my factory theft alarm goes offseveral times for no reason...any ideas on how to clear the tamper condition?