Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

97 Malibu 2.4 running rough and backfiring

Old November 14th, 2018, 2:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Malibu 2.4 running rough and backfiring

I got a 97 malibu with the 2.4 twin cam engine that has a misfire and it keeps throwing po code po300.

I recently drove it to work and it acted fine and i come back to it after i got off and it cranked try to start and die and some times when i crank it, it act fires and acts like it vaporlocks and then i get a backfire from it.

i can get it to run but it sound like it missing cylinders and it stalls when i let off the gas. I got it to hold a idle a few days ago and i looked at the engine and its shaking bad it did have a code for the crank position sensor but i just change that and cleared it and it still running rough im stumped any advice would be appricated
Old November 15th, 2018, 5:50 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Billy33s
I got a 97 malibu with the 2.4 twin cam engine that has a misfire and it keeps throwing po code po300.

I recently drove it to work and it acted fine and i come back to it after i got off and it cranked try to start and die and some times when i crank it, it act fires and acts like it vaporlocks and then i get a backfire from it.

i can get it to run but it sound like it missing cylinders and it stalls when i let off the gas. I got it to hold a idle a few days ago and i looked at the engine and its shaking bad it did have a code for the crank position sensor but i just change that and cleared it and it still running rough im stumped any advice would be appricated
Sounds like a bad ignition coil to me.

Search this Thread