Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

98 Malibu One click wont start

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2016, 1:33 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Malibu One click wont start

Hey guys I've been working on my car for a day and a half and have this information on what i ve done, still nothing is happening.
I've gotten the starter tested and it works, I have also used the screwdriver trick and hear the same wuring noise but hear no click or spinning. I've cleaned the engine block and chassi grounds and cleaned all of the connection for the starter. I don't get full illumination of my dash board just battery light and check engine light when i turn it to the on position. the ignition switch was replaced six months ago. some of the fuses looked worn but were connected. I can turn the crank by hand. Im at a loss. What do I do? Its my only car and have had to leave a town away in a parking lot and try to fix it after work. thanks for cheking this out guys.
Old December 7th, 2016, 4:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

You don't mention the battery. Did you do a load test on the battery? Check both ends of the battery cables for looseness and corrosion. You may also have an alternator problem if the battery is dead.
Old December 7th, 2016, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still saw sparks when i went and checked the terminals, but today i will definitely get it checked. how does one test their alternator?
Old December 7th, 2016, 8:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

An easy way to check it is with a volt meter. With the engine running put the probes of a volt meter on the battery terminals. If it is charging it should read around 14 volts. If it is not charging it will read 12 volts or less.