Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

abs and handbrake light on

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2006, 8:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default abs and handbrake light on

hey guys my handbrake and abs lights comes on and wont go off, while driving a beeping sounds comes on like if the door is opean, can someone tell me whats causing this.
Old June 26th, 2006, 11:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: abs and handbrake light on

I have a '99 Malibu, and was having a similar, if not the same problem. The "regular" brake light (red one) was coming on because the brake fluid level sensor went bad. It is mounted under the master cylinder. Really easy to change out and cost is minimal. Coincidentally, at the same time, my ABS (yellow) light was coming on intermittently, then after several days it was on constantly with the chiming noise you described. After doing a GOOD visual check to make sure none of the ABS components were damaged, I changed the hub assembly, which contains all of the ABS components down at the respective wheel. That solved the problem. I ran a quick scan to tell me which wheel was having the problem. Hub cost about $160. Job only took about 3 hours, and that was with a break included. Very easy.