Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Battery issues

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2019, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery issues

Last week the temps dropped to -20 with wind chills of -50. My sons daughter had left the dome light on in their 2010 Malibu for a couple of hours but closed the door when we noticed it. The next morning the car wouldn't start. it wouldn't turn over and just makes a whining noise. We replaced the battery with a brand new one and it started. The next morning same thing, not turning over and the whining noise. We then put a charger on it over night and it started right up the today but two hours after the charger was off, once again the same issue. I took the battery back to the place of purchase and it tested "better than good." I'm at a loss. Why would it start and run but 2 hours later or whatever time period it not turnover and make some screeching whining noise? The starter and plugs have been declared good.
Old February 12th, 2019, 4:25 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Have you checked the charging rate? The alternator should be charging it when running, also with extreme temp's is the battery compatible with that cold temps?
Old February 12th, 2019, 8:17 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

post a video so i can hear and see what's happening.
Old February 12th, 2019, 9:44 PM
CF Active Member

Location: Currently the Candian Gander is wintering over in New York.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sparky146
Last week the temps dropped to -20 with wind chills of -50. My sons daughter had left the dome light on in their 2010 Malibu for a couple of hours but closed the door when we noticed it. The next morning the car wouldn't start. it wouldn't turn over and just makes a whining noise. We replaced the battery with a brand new one and it started. The next morning same thing, not turning over and the whining noise. We then put a charger on it over night and it started right up the today but two hours after the charger was off, once again the same issue. I took the battery back to the place of purchase and it tested "better than good." I'm at a loss. Why would it start and run but 2 hours later or whatever time period it not turnover and make some screeching whining noise? The starter and plugs have been declared good.
I just found this thread. I don't know what happened to my response. Since I didn't save the original, I get to do this homework over.

In reading through this post, I am drawn to the fact that you seem to have dismissed the starter as the possible problem.

Since this is the Internet, and the advice is free, I am going to suggest that you go back and look at your symptoms again. I think you have a bad starter solenoid, for a number of reasons.

1. When the engine doesn't start, you hear noises. The engine isn't cranking around, but you hear screeching whining noises. You can open the hood, stand in front of the engine while someone else turns the key, and I think you will hear the noises coming from the starter.

2. The solenoid is a electrically induced magnetic field. When energized, it pulls an iron plug with the starter gear into the flywheel, causing it to rotate as the starter is engaged.

3. A weak field, or maybe in your case, with the cold weather, the lubricant has gone stiff, so the plunger is dragging. The starter gear starts to spin, but the slow actuation of the plunger causes a starter-gear kick-out.

4. Starting with a "super-charged" battery supplies extra amperage and masks the symptoms. When the battery drops back into the normal charge range, the weak solenoid shows back up.

Last edited by Kazoocruiser; February 12th, 2019 at 9:48 PM.
Old February 18th, 2019, 2:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sparky146
Do you using longboard? I heard about HyperOutdoor tell abut best longboard. Should use it? Last week the temps dropped to -20 with wind chills of -50. My sons daughter had left the dome light on in their 2010 Malibu for a couple of hours but closed the door when we noticed it. The next morning the car wouldn't start. it wouldn't turn over and just makes a whining noise. We replaced the battery with a brand new one and it started. The next morning same thing, not turning over and the whining noise. We then put a charger on it over night and it started right up the today but two hours after the charger was off, once again the same issue. I took the battery back to the place of purchase and it tested "better than good." I'm at a loss. Why would it start and run but 2 hours later or whatever time period it not turnover and make some screeching whining noise? The starter and plugs have been declared good.

What's the difference between trickle charger and battery tender
Hello!

You should check the voltage on the battery posts. This is easily done if you have an multi-meter.
It should read at least 12V when engine not running, and above 14V with engine running.

Also, if the battery is wet type (it is filled with water), check the level.

Hope that hepls!

Last edited by mikeross1209; March 11th, 2019 at 4:02 AM.