Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Bluetooth stopped working

Old November 26th, 2013, 12:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bluetooth stopped working

I bought my 2009 Malibu LT over a year ago, immediately I paired the bluetooth with my iphone, it worked great. About two weeks ago the bluetooth stopped working. I deleted the pairing from my iphone and tried to pair it again using the steering wheel talk button, nothing happened besides muting the radio. A few days after I lost bluetooth my car battery died. Not sure if the two are related or not. My car is also Onstar capably, I do not subscribe to Onstar but the light is out on the rearview mirror and when I press the Onstar buttons I cannot connect to them either. I've tried calling Onstar to see if they could run a diagnosis on the VCIM but they tell me they can't because I don't subscribe to them plus they tell me that the Onstar system does not connect to the Bluetooth system. I looked at fuses, I only have a fuse for Onstar which is still good.

Just looking for a fix without having to bring the car into the dealership.
Old November 26th, 2013, 12:40 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

jbye,

I am sorry that you are having this concern with your Malibu. I understand your choice not to go to the dealership, however I do suggest you have a diagnosis preformed. Is the car showing any codes? This may help the members address your concern.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 26th, 2013, 1:25 PM
CF Beginner

The dealership is telling me it will be $110 just to diagnose the problem, do you know of any other place that can give a code?
Old November 26th, 2013, 2:22 PM
Official GM Rep

jbye,

We are unable to provide information that is non GM. You can search the threads or I am sure a community member will be here soon to provide you with that information. I can call to anther Chevrolet dealership in your area to see if there is one that is less expensive.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old November 26th, 2013, 4:46 PM
CF Beginner

Can you at least tell me whether the bluetooth and onstar are connected?
Old November 26th, 2013, 9:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Hi jbye,

The bluetooth feature and OnStar are not connected. Your vehicle can be equipped with bluetooth, but not have an active OnStar account. Please private message us if you have any additional questions.

Amber N. (assisting Erica)
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:00 AM
CF Beginner

Did you find out the issue? My 2009 Malibu is doing the same exact thing. Push the button on the steering wheel and only mutes the radio??
Old January 29th, 2014, 5:05 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Kelann
Did you find out the issue? My 2009 Malibu is doing the same exact thing. Push the button on the steering wheel and only mutes the radio??
Yes, I had to bring it to the dealership and have them update the system using service bulletin update # 08-08-46-008, cost me $60 but works perfect now and it was cheaper than buying a good car bluetooth. I did have to tell them to do the update instead of having them look for the problem.
Old January 13th, 2016, 1:25 PM
Newly Registered

Default 2014 Malibu LT Bluetooth

I bought my 2014 Malibu LT over a year ago, immediately I paired the Bluetooth with my iPhone, it worked great. About two weeks ago the bluetooth stopped working. I deleted the pairing from my iPhone and tried to pair it again and stop working.
Old April 7th, 2016, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Just went to dealership today for the same issues and basically the computer is shot...had the gallery to tell me if I wanted to repair it would be over 1100 bucks so needless to say I won't be repairing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bluetooth stopped working