Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

A/C changes from "circulate" to "fresh air" and A/C turns off

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2007, 2:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C changes from "circulate" to "fresh air" and A/C turns off

My 2003 Malibu has a problem with the air conditioner. It switches from circulate to fresh air mode on its own, which is not a huge problem. The problem is that it also causes the green light on the A/C button to turn off. The cold air stops, and hot air starts blowing in, which is no good on a hot day! If I try to push the button again to turn the A/C back, it stays off. The only way I can get the A/C to turn back on is to toggle the speeds.

Does anybody have an idea on what is wrong, and what I need to replace? I hate calling the dealer or a mechanic. I want to get an idea on what it will cost to fix before I go anywhere.
Old July 18th, 2007, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: A/C changes from "circulate" to "fresh air" and A/C turns off

I incountered the same issue w/ my '03 Malibu. The A/C Control Module is bad and needs to be replaced. Here's the info: GM Part # 22718118 and you can expecto to pay at least $350 parts, labor and tax. I replaced mine under warranty at 29,300 miles and now I have to do it again at 91,000. Aparantly, this problematic.
Old August 14th, 2007, 3:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: A/C changes from "circulate" to "fresh air" and A/C turns off

Here's a fix that will save you over $300 in repair costs. "Ken5599" suggested that I disconnect and remove the A/C control module from the dash, remove the back cover of the fan speed control switch (which is held on by three (3) torx-head screws.) and clean the copper contacts inside the switch. I used electronic contact cleaner from Radio Shack ($9.95) or you could probably use a Q-tips and isopropyl alcohol in a pinch. I lubricated the copper contacts with a very small amount of WD-40 applied w/ a Q-tip. Youcouldpossibly use lithium grease or even a dry lubricant...such as graphite. Just be sure not to use too much. Reassemble the switch, reconnect and remount the A/C control module and you'll be good to go. I can't say that this fix has elliminate the problemcompletely but it does significantly reduce recurrence of this issue. I was very pleased with the outcome. Good Luck!