Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

a/c problems

Search this Thread

Old June 12th, 2017, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default a/c problems

hello all new member here. my brother has a 2003 Malibu. sometimes when the a/c is running the a/c goes on & off & also it switches from recurculate to outside air. any ideas what the problem could be? I replaced the hvac control panel with a oem new unit. the problem still exists. we had a 2001 Malibu with the same problem, actually it was my dad's but he doesn't remember what the dealer did to fix it.
Old June 12th, 2017, 7:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the compressor will cycle on and off and that is normal...so are you saying the hvac control module (the control panel) shuts off or powers off and then powers up?
Old June 12th, 2017, 7:31 PM
CF Beginner

yes, the a/c button when it's set for a/c sometimes you see the indicator light go off & then a couple of seconds go back on. then also the recirculate switches to outside air & then back by itself. it does this at random no pattern. our 2001 did this as well, but my dad doesn't remember what the problem was but it was resoled by the dealer....

when the a/c functions properly the air is cold so it's not a low Freon issue....

my Saturn had a similar problem along with the lock unlock going crazy & it was the bcm.

for what it's worth the cruise control also goes on & off at randon. does the bcm control these things in the Malibu?

Last edited by saturnsc2; June 12th, 2017 at 7:34 PM.
Old June 12th, 2017, 7:36 PM
Super Moderator

if the system is low on refrigerent, the low pressure switch may cut out...then when pressure builds up after being shut off for a while...the system restarts. Due to the age and possibility of a leak...have the system recovered to see if the system is low.
Old June 12th, 2017, 9:29 PM
CF Beginner

can this also cause the system to switch from recirculate to outside air by itself as well?
Old June 13th, 2017, 8:01 AM
Super Moderator

no...that may be an electronic issue with the a/c module...the a/c module could cause both issues but further testing is needed to determine that. Can you get a cheap used module from a wrecking yard?
Old June 13th, 2017, 6:45 PM
CF Beginner

where is this ac module located on the 2003 Malibu? I replaced the hvac control panel with a new one last week though....
Old June 13th, 2017, 7:29 PM
Super Moderator

the control panel is the module.
Old June 13th, 2017, 9:36 PM
CF Beginner

it's brand new. i'll say this the problem is much less frequent with the new panel for what it's worth. we're not going to break the bank trying to fix this as it works ok even with the switching of the recirculate air sometimes....

the driver's side rocker panel is rusting out underneath even though the body looks clean around, so the car's life in years is numbered...