Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Front end creaking when you turn the wheel

Search this Thread

Old August 2nd, 2011, 2:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front end creaking when you turn the wheel

I have a 2000 Malibu LS with 166,000 miles. When I turn the wheel in either direction I can hear a creaking noise on the front passenger side. Does anyone know exactly what could be the cause of that noise?
Old August 2nd, 2011, 4:17 PM
CF Beginner

Sometimes the CV boot gets punctured, all the grease leaks out and they make a noise. Sometimes they just go bad. Although, I haven't heard of one going bad on a Malibu. Could also be a front wheel bearing. If these things don't seem to be the type of thing you can handle, then you need to take it somewhere. If you have some mechanical ability and some tools and you want to know more. Just ask.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 6:17 PM
CF Beginner

Thx for your help. I'm very good with my tools and I have no problem working on cars. So please begin to tell me more.
I know it is not the wheel bearings because I changed those about 6 months ago. Seeing the A/C compressor came up with a shaft leak, I will be changing that out along with the belt and the tensioner pulley this weekend, I should have that passenger side wheel off and that will give me a better look of what might be going on with the CV boot.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 8:07 PM
CF Beginner

could very well be the top strut mount that binds and let go as you turn the wheel, and the coil spring take the slack as it turns in the teflon mount. I had the same except the noise is more of a thump than a creack as I turn the steering wheel in either side.
Old August 2nd, 2011, 9:26 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dutch724
Thx for your help. I'm very good with my tools and I have no problem working on cars. So please begin to tell me more.
I know it is not the wheel bearings because I changed those about 6 months ago. Seeing the A/C compressor came up with a shaft leak, I will be changing that out along with the belt and the tensioner pulley this weekend, I should have that passenger side wheel off and that will give me a better look of what might be going on with the CV boot.
Usually, if the boot goes bad it slings grease all over the place. But still, the CV joint can go bad all by itself. The easiest thing to do at this point, is when you have the front wheel off, disconnect the strut from the upright (sometimes called a knuckle). Articulate the strut back and forth and side to side to see if thats where the noise is coming from. If it's not coming from the strut, articulate the upright (knuckle) up and down to see if that's where the noise is. They both should be easy to move, but sometimes it takes a prybar. If you haven't found the problem at this point and you can get both front wheels off the ground, reconnect the strut to the upright, get both wheels off the ground, then find someone to turn the steering wheel while you listen.

Since the wheel bearings were replaced, check that the bolts haven't come loose or something strange like that. Also, I've heard that some aftermarket hub/bearing assemblies don't last very long.
Old August 3rd, 2011, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

I will double check the strut, but I don't think it is the strut just because when I go over bumps there is no noise. But when I sit still and slowly turn the wheel there is the noise.
This weekend I will raise both wheels off the ground and see if I can put my hand on the noise while someone else turns the wheel. That might be quicker than taking things apart and moving them around. don't get me wrong that is a good suggestion and I will use it if I can't get anywhere else with the car off the ground.
I'm think it would be the CV joint. I haven't seen traces of grease being slung all over the area where the CV joint is, but as you say it could of just wore out.
thanks for your help
Old August 7th, 2011, 3:06 PM
CF Beginner

After looking around at the CV joints and the strut I have found the problem. At the top of the strut the top of the coil spring is broken and when the strut turns with the wheel it makes the creaking noise. I had no idea the strut turned with the wheel..... I just never thought of it turning.
Thanks for the help.