Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Help! 2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT won’t start

Search this Thread

Old July 28th, 2022, 6:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! 2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT won’t start

Hi everyone, please bare with me as I’m not mechanically inclined.

Just some background: A little over a month ago, my car overheated and we noticed it had a coolant leak. We had it towed to a shop that my grandfather is familiar with and they replaced the thermostat- I don’t think they looked more into it.

A couple of weeks passed with no issues and it overheated 2-3 times in a matter of days, where we noticed that the coolant was still leaking. I scheduled an appointment with a mechanic for that reason and also because my car had a pretty rough idle. Spark plugs were replaced which didn’t solve the idle/misfire and we drove it to the mechanic. That next morning the car wouldn’t start and it hasn’t started since. That was 3 weeks ago.

Starter is fine, pistons are fine, my SO was able to turn the motor over by hand, oil looks fine, fuses are fine, and the vehicle has power. When trying to start it, it just clicks once and that is it. Where do we go from here?! 😭
Old September 7th, 2022, 11:12 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kaynicole
Hi everyone, please bare with me as I’m not mechanically inclined.

Just some background: A little over a month ago, my car overheated and we noticed it had a coolant leak. We had it towed to a shop that my grandfather is familiar with and they replaced the thermostat- I don’t think they looked more into it.

A couple of weeks passed with no issues and it overheated 2-3 times in a matter of days, where we noticed that the coolant was still leaking. I scheduled an appointment with a mechanic for that reason and also because my car had a pretty rough idle. Spark plugs were replaced which didn’t solve the idle/misfire and we drove it to the mechanic. That next morning the car wouldn’t start and it hasn’t started since. That was 3 weeks ago.

Starter is fine, pistons are fine, my SO was able to turn the motor over by hand, oil looks fine, fuses are fine, and the vehicle has power. When trying to start it, it just clicks once and that is it. Where do we go from here?! 😭
At the very least, you need a tech with a high-end scanner. Sounds like you MIGHT have a head gasket leak, Are your cooling fans operational?