Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

HELP: Worth it to replace ECM on a 2013 Malibu?

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2023, 2:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP: Worth it to replace ECM on a 2013 Malibu?

This is partly venting, partly asking for advice. I figured a community of Chevy experts would be a good place to turn to.

A year ago, I was graciously gifted a used 2013 Chevy Malibu from my great aunt who can no longer legally drive. It had about 35,000 miles when I got it, and it's currently sitting at 52,000 miles now. It drove great. Until early April.

It all started when I was driving on the highway and the Engine Power Reduced error came on my dash and my engine went limp. I took it into the mechanic and they said it was a bad fuel pump. That got replaced. Less than 24 hours later, the same error code came on my dash. The mechanic replaced the fuel pump for free with a different brand. The car drove a little funnier for about a hundred miles. Third time, Engine Power Reduced. I was an hour away from home, so I took it to a Chrysler dealer (no Chevy dealer nearby) and they said the "lifter" was worn down and not lifting the fuel pump enough in my car (forgive my vocabulary, I'm not a car person). That part got replaced. The car drove fine for about 1,000 miles. Fourth time, limp engine going about 40mph 2 minutes after starting the car. Took it to a third mechanic who said it was a bad fuel sensor; I had it replaced. This was a week ago.

Yesterday, FOR THE FIFTH TIME, the engine power reduced error came on my car. Took it to AutoZone to be diagnosed. The computer said it was the fuel pressure sensor, which makes zero sense because I JUST HAD IT REPLACED. The guy also said it could be the ECM that is faulty. Well, I looked it up, and apparently the ECM is supposed to last the lifetime of the car. Not go bad at 52,000 miles. I've already put $2,300 into this car for repairs, for reference. The ECM will be at least another $1,000, if not more.

So my question is: should I just sell this car and buy a new one? Is it worth it to keep pouring money into this car and praying it will magically be fixed? Has this happened to other Malibus? Needless to say, I will never purchase a Chevy after this ordeal. I'm a recent college grad with little money; my family has been helping me pay for all of this, but I cannot be dependent on them financially. I'll only need a car until October, when I move to Orlando and do the Disney College Program, which provides transportation. So I really just need it for the summer to get to my full time job that's a daily 70 mile round trip on the highway.
TYIA for any insight.

TLDR; After pouring more than $2,000 into a 2013 Chevy Malibu that has 52,000 miles on it, is it worth it to replace the ECM? Or is that a sign that the car itself is bad?
Old May 28th, 2023, 4:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 205 Likes on 179 Posts

Welcome to Chevy! That's a low miles car, should have lots of llfe yet. I would not replace the ECM until you find a competant mechanic to help you arrive at the proper diagnosis. Maybe talk with friends/family for a reference.
The following 3 users liked this post by Rednucleus:
mountainmanjoe (May 28th, 2023), oilcanhenry (May 30th, 2023), tech2 (May 28th, 2023)
Old May 31st, 2023, 7:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Welcome to Chevy! That's a low miles car, should have lots of llfe yet. I would not replace the ECM until you find a competant mechanic to help you arrive at the proper diagnosis. Maybe talk with friends/family for a reference.
Thank you for the advice. I'm definitely considering taking it to a Chevy dealer and having them do a full maintenance inspection; I believe I'm due for one anyway. I'd like to get several opinions if possible.

Also, my check engine light is now magically off and has been for about a 100 miles or so. I am truly lost as to what this car's problem is.