Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Howzjon

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2022, 2:43 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howzjon

My 2006 Malibu Maxx gear selector is extremely tight and hard to move when warmed up, it is fine when cold. I read on one post that it just requires a transmission fluid and filter change. I have also read on the internet that changing the fluid will cause the clutch to slip because the grit has been removed from the clutch . Should I change the fluid or not.
Old November 28th, 2022, 6:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, change the fluid and filter. you will also get a new seal. you may be able to pry the old seal out with a screwdriver or an inexpensive seal remover, something like this https://www.harborfreight.com/seal-p...l+remover+tool , allow plenty of time. get the GM kit filter, seal and rubber gasket. it's expensive but worth it. you will need something to drain the fluid into. go to Home Depot and get a rubber concrete mixing tub. loosen all the bolts then one corner of the pan loosen more so the transmission fluid pours out. you will need containers to poor the old transmission fluid in. The trans will drip. best to put the pan back on overnight. use carb cleaner on a rag to clean the mating surface on both the pan and the transmission before installing the gasket. The containers will give you an idea of how much transmission fluid to replace..
Old November 28th, 2022, 10:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by howzjon
My 2006 Malibu Maxx gear selector is extremely tight and hard to move when warmed up, it is fine when cold. I read on one post that it just requires a transmission fluid and filter change. I have also read on the internet that changing the fluid will cause the clutch to slip because the grit has been removed from the clutch . Should I change the fluid or not.
Low fluid can result in overheating and a deficiency in the creation of hydraulic pressure that is needed to engage gears. its better to change