Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Issues I have had with my 2002 + Usefull tips

Search this Thread

Old March 22nd, 2010, 3:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Issues I have had with my 2002 + Usefull tips

I am posting this as I think it may come in handy for troubleshooting for your car, and there are some tips here, you all are welcome to edit any tips in a reply to the thread.

Issues, from most recent to the beginning

This issue was on Thursday of last week. My fuel pump that is in the gas tank, went out after filling up the tank, the cost for this was $557.15, now if you are good at cars, you can do it for maybe $60 to $70.

This issue was 3 months ago. On your instrument panel, you have your RPM, Speedometer, and fuel and temperature gauge, if you drive your car and get home, and you see a light that looks like a square, with an arrow pointing down to a wavy looking substance(anyone know what its called?) check your oil, if its greenish brown, your coolant is running in to your oil and mixing.

Tips

Air Filter: On the 2002 Malibu, your air filter will be on the drivers side, there will be four screws holding the cover on. Phillips and flat head screw drivers.(you will see the two Phillips heads in front, and two flat heads in back, dont remove them from the cover.)Once you have removed the cover(I recommend going to the local autozone and getting you a new air filter first) You will see the air filter, now if you have been neglecting routine maintenance and weekly/monthly/yearly tune ups, you will most likely have the air filter that was put in when the car was first bought, this is more than likely dirty. Switch them out. do this every 12,000 miles.

Tires: Always keep your tire pressure up to the appropriate amount, doing this helps increase gas mileage.

Air Intake: This is pretty much open, if you want to modify it, i suggest you get an open one that air flows through very well, doing so helps increase gas mileage.

Money Saving: If you hate paying mechanics(hopefully if your lucky, your car still has a warranty) pick up a few books, and learn how to fix and repair and rebuild a car, this is one of the many great ways to save money on your 2002 malibu, or any other cars. a good saying to follow when doing this is "why pay someone to do a job on my car, that I am more than willing to learn how to do?".

Feel free to correct or add additional issue(please include quick fixes if you know any) and add additional tips.