Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Low Fuel Light

Old October 23rd, 2017, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low Fuel Light

is there a feature on the dashboard that shows how many miles you can go on the tank after low fuel light comes on 2015 Malibu LT.

Or does anyone know how many gals are left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on
Old October 23rd, 2017, 4:09 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kathyHjoe5
is there a feature on the dashboard that shows how many miles you can go on the tank after low fuel light comes on 2015 Malibu LT.

Or does anyone know how many gals are left in the tank when the low fuel light comes on
What does the fuel gauge read?
Old October 23rd, 2017, 4:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
What does the fuel gauge read?
Oilcanhenry: Thanks for responding!

The fuel gauge needle itself points to just above E (empty). Yesterday the little gas pump icon lit up saying fuel is low. My husband was driving at the time and he said "47 miles" flashed on the digital display. I drove a few miles today, and even though the low fuel icon is still on the display, it is not telling me how many miles is left. Now, I realize that the mileage left for driving with the gas tank can change depending on driving, but just wondering if there is somewhere else on the display that this would be indicated.

We just purchased this vehicle, and are only on the first tank of gas since purchasing it and it was filled by the dealer, so it is pretty new to us.
Old October 24th, 2017, 5:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kathyHjoe5
Oilcanhenry: Thanks for responding!

The fuel gauge needle itself points to just above E (empty). Yesterday the little gas pump icon lit up saying fuel is low. My husband was driving at the time and he said "47 miles" flashed on the digital display. I drove a few miles today, and even though the low fuel icon is still on the display, it is not telling me how many miles is left. Now, I realize that the mileage left for driving with the gas tank can change depending on driving, but just wondering if there is somewhere else on the display that this would be indicated.

We just purchased this vehicle, and are only on the first tank of gas since purchasing it and it was filled by the dealer, so it is pretty new to us.
To be honest I dont know. I haven't driven right to the empty mark yet, so I've never had the red low fuel light come on. Its not a good idea to get too low on fuel
as the fuel pump on all new cars are electrical and depend on having enough fuel to stay cool and not wear out prematurely. I usually fill up by a quarter of a tank, usually more. In the past, the older cars without the instant mileage readout used to go 10 or 20 miles on empty, but I dont know about the newer vehicles.
Old October 24th, 2017, 6:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
To be honest I dont know. I haven't driven right to the empty mark yet, so I've never had the red low fuel light come on. Its not a good idea to get too low on fuel
as the fuel pump on all new cars are electrical and depend on having enough fuel to stay cool and not wear out prematurely. I usually fill up by a quarter of a tank, usually more. In the past, the older cars without the instant mileage readout used to go 10 or 20 miles on empty, but I dont know about the newer vehicles.
Thanks! My husband is a mechanic, and he also makes sure that we keep the tank filled after it reaches a quarter tank. Since this was the first tank, and we are still learning the Malibu, I was just curious because other vehicles we have had give us an estimate of how many miles we can go before empty. So I guess there is no led indication as the tank gets emptier. But thanks for the responses.

Search this Thread