Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Malibu's auto stop feature is the pits. Can Chevy create a software disable function?

Search this Thread

Old June 8th, 2018, 7:57 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
doubt it. most stop start systems; the trans is completely off...they use a pressurized accumulator that primes the trans fluid pressure as soon as the brake pedal is released
Well, I admit defeat, Tech2. I never heard any noise from the transmission while in auto-stop mode, so that explains why. You are indeed correct about that.

I did check the auto-stop battery in the trunk. Its pretty much 'the size of a motorcycle battery and looks to be an AGM type as well. I'll have to research about disabling the battery/auto stop, as I am not going to pay $200-300 dollars for an M/C battery. I will always be a Chevy fan, but not including a donut spare tire, jack and wrench was pretty cheap on GM's part. I got a free tire air-pump anyhow!

I have a spare tire, jack & wrench in the trunk since not long after I bought it. That 2.5 liter mill will still average 25-27 city and 38-44 freeway, not the EPA sticker 25-36 MPG. She will do a solid 50 MPG at 55 MPH, Too bad that Chevrolet discontinued that engine in the new Malibu's, but I keep my cars for a very long time, and maintain them very well.

Last edited by oilcanhenry; June 8th, 2018 at 8:00 AM.
Old June 8th, 2018, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

the auxilary battery is used to power accessories when the car is off in auto stop mode, the main battery is for starting the car....battery state of heath would be on factor in the system disabling auto stop all by itself. If you disconnect the aux battery, I bet the system shuts off but you will get a DIC warning message. Look for fuses that run the system. Other inputs like driver seat belt, hood open etc may disable stop/start.
Old June 23rd, 2018, 9:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu premier no stop/ start feature

My 2017 Chevrolet Malibu premier thankfully does not have the dreaded auto/stop feature, but if it did I wouldn't have purchased the car. I don't see that much gas being save with this feature and yes, the EPA is out of control.