Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Malibu's auto stop feature is the pits. Can Chevy create a software disable function?

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2018, 8:03 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Malibu's auto stop feature is the pits. Can Chevy create a software disable function?

I believe the Malibu auto stop feature on the 2018 model is a potential safety hazard. Is Chevrolet working on a optional driver disable function, either software or via a cabin switch? Any aftermarket units which could be bought for this option?
Old June 3rd, 2018, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

is there not an autostop shut off button already present?

Yes, you have to reset it at every start up but big deal...consider it part of the starting procedure.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 12:31 PM
CF Beginner

No disable button on the 2018 Malibu, unfortunately. From the internet forums I've seen, many have said no more Chevys, and I agree entirely. Always been a Chevy man, but this solution to the EPA mileage rules, is just crazy. I'm afraid the restart feature will wear out the starter motor just after the warranty period is up. I'm also afraid of an overshoot in engine rpm during restart, so that the car will lurch and crash into the vehicle ahead during the traffic stop. No more Cheys for me. I concede I didn't research the vehicle better, and no one at the dealer said anything about it during the brief test drive. I accept responsibility for buying the car, but never again, without a disable switch.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 3:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by kountzkj
No disable button on the 2018 Malibu, unfortunately. From the internet forums I've seen, many have said no more Chevys, and I agree entirely. Always been a Chevy man, but this solution to the EPA mileage rules, is just crazy. I'm afraid the restart feature will wear out the starter motor just after the warranty period is up. I'm also afraid of an overshoot in engine rpm during restart, so that the car will lurch and crash into the vehicle ahead during the traffic stop. No more Cheys for me. I concede I didn't research the vehicle better, and no one at the dealer said anything about it during the brief test drive. I accept responsibility for buying the car, but never again, without a disable switch.
Yes, there is no shut-off switch. There are three ways to overcome it however

1. Feather the brake pedal when stopping. Let up as you come to a stop,, then lightly depress pedal Works most of the time.
2. Put trans in neutral.
3. Put trans in manual mode.

My 2015 hasn't had any issues, but yeah extra starter and flywheel tooth wear concern me.
Old June 3rd, 2018, 3:33 PM
Super Moderator

not familiar with the new chevy ess systems; i do not know what they use for restarts.

the chrysler models use a specially designed starter made for start start applications....no doubt a regular starter would wear out. Its not a regular car with parts thrown at it...battery, starting, charging, programming and more are all engineered for this application.

I get it, these system can be annoying in gridlock and an override should be made available.

the fca system does have a push button disable that shuts the system off until the vehicle is shut off with the key. We get complaints from customers as they hate having to push the disable button once per trip.
Old June 5th, 2018, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
not familiar with the new chevy ess systems; i do not know what they use for restarts.

the chrysler models use a specially designed starter made for start start applications....no doubt a regular starter would wear out. Its not a regular car with parts thrown at it...battery, starting, charging, programming and more are all engineered for this application.

I get it, these system can be annoying in gridlock and an override should be made available.

the fca system does have a push button disable that shuts the system off until the vehicle is shut off with the key. We get complaints from customers as they hate having to push the disable button once per trip.
Having two lead-acid batteries that will go bad one day is disconcerting to me. Yes, the Chevy starter system is designed for auto/stop, but it would be nice if they
offered a button to disable it for a time, at least.
Old June 5th, 2018, 8:18 AM
Super Moderator

are they not using agm batteries?

I'm sure it was a deliberate decision to not install an off button.

Last edited by tech2; June 5th, 2018 at 8:22 AM.
Old June 5th, 2018, 9:08 AM
CF Beginner

Not sure if the 2018 Malibu has agm batteries. The situation with the auto/stop feature has reached the point where I have contacted NHSTA, who agreed to evaluate the safety aspects of the auto/stop, and why a disable switch was not installed for the driver.
Old June 7th, 2018, 3:03 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by tech2
are they not using agm batteries?

I'm sure it was a deliberate decision to not install an off button.
Yes, they use AGM batteries, or at least the main battery is AGM. I haven't even bothered to open the panel in the trunk to view the battery there. I did price one and the cheapest was well over $200 USD.

Then that means extra wires that can go bad/corrode going from the trunk to the engine bay. Too complicated for me. Once it dies, I will find a work around, not buy a new battery.

Yes, I am sure Chevrolet made a deliberate decision to keep the auto-stop from being turned off. I know that they have to meet the CAFE fuel economy standards, but having the motor shut off for a short red-light or a stop sign, is more wear and tear on the vehicle, and the transmission has to keep pumping fluid while stopped in auto-stop mode.

I seem to recall reading that there is a sensor under the hood that can be used to bypass the GM auto-stop system, but for now I will leave it be, since I admit that I do allow it to shut down at long red lights and waiting for heavy traffic and locomotives to move out of the roadway.
Old June 7th, 2018, 8:05 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
and the transmission has to keep pumping fluid while stopped in auto-stop mode.
doubt it. most stop start systems; the trans is completely off...they use a pressurized accumulator that primes the trans fluid pressure as soon as the brake pedal is released