Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

No power when given gas

Search this Thread

Old July 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power when given gas

Need some help. my mom just got through driving 1200 miles from FL to see me and I drove her car today and it is sluggish. It will not accelerate very well at all. Revs fine when not under a load. You mash the gas in gear and it is like it is starving for fuel. Trans is fine as the car will shift. I changed the fuel filter hoping that was it. Changed plugs and that was not it. When changing plugs none looked odd, they all burned the same. Autozone says it is code P0404 which is the erg system fault. I unplugged the erg and it runs more smooth but still has no power. Is there a way to bypass the erg or clean it or something? Could it be the MAP sensor? What are some ways of check for a MAP problem? Any other suggestions....converter??? Thanks for all your help.
Old October 18th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: No power when given gas

Sounds like what I had go wrong with my 2002 Malibu. I had my catalytic converter tested (after I changed a bunch of parts $$$$) and found out that it was clogged. Before you pay to fix (if that is the problem) check the warranty. I called the dealership and found out the cat was still under the manufacturers warranty (80,000 miles or 8-10 years).