Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Oil leak -> starter problem -> more problems

Search this Thread

Old November 17th, 2022, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil leak -> starter problem -> more problems

Hi I’m new to the website and forum page sorry if I went out of the community guidelines by posting this incorrectly or in the wrong area

I’ve got a 2005 Chevy Malibu 3.5 and I started out with an oil leak that was a pretty severe problem I let it go on too long and it bogged up the starter I believe,
and that led to me finally getting underneath there and what I recognized to be the gasket on the oil filter adapter being bad I think caused the initial leak. I could be wrong but I replaced that and I have replaced the starter but now that the new parts are on and I try to start the car it starts up,…
but for whatever reason the charging system indicator light comes on as well as eventually the ABS I’m not sure if the ABS is coming on due to the charging system not working correctly or if that’s some thing else and I also have a problem with my steering wheel for some reason when I come to a complete stop and try to turn right or left it seems as though the wheel kicks back in the other direction..

I’ll try to turn the wheel and it kicks it backwards in the other direction like somethings knocking or blocking the wheel from being able to turn that way any suggestions or help with these problems we have appreciated

I’m assuming that the charging system light is coming on due to the alternator being bad from people trying to start the car with the starter being out too many times I’m also going to have The battery tested as well as if that is not the problem I will have the alternator tested any suggestions highly appreciated

I’m having a picture that the belt is on correctly and feeding through the pulleys correctly however I’m going to make sure that the pulley is torque to 37 foot pounds cause that may be a problem if not I don’t know how severe. I’ve checked all my connectors to my batteries I’m not too familiar with wiring but I don’t see anything listed directly disconnected from any of the electrical system as far as the battery to the alternator I’m not sure which wires are which but nothing looks to be severed or damaged Enough to cause a circuit problem.
Old November 28th, 2022, 7:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its your oil pressure sending unit right above the starter, they will get to the point that they will start gushing oil out. DO NOT get a GM replacement. could be the gasket too...did you one disconnect the battery cables when you removed the starter because there is always 12v present at the starter then there are the wires that go to the solenoid...if you do not even hear the solenoid...re-check your connections and battery cables.