Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

P0601 codes

Search this Thread

Old March 27th, 2010, 1:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0601 codes

My 2006 Chevy malibu has been losing engine power. The power reduces and then disables. I took it to Chevy to run diagnostic and OF COURSE they say we have to REPLACE the ECM and the Catalytic converter. I dont trust this at all because if the ECM needed replacement the car wouldnt start at all right? the tech says that he cant communicate with the ECM to download software and he also says that you cant rebuild an ECM. Should I get a second opinion? They are talking big money here and I know I can find these parts cheaper. Would it be better to replace it or salvage an ECM or catalytic converter?

Last edited by naylahknee; March 27th, 2010 at 1:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old April 16th, 2010, 4:50 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by naylahknee
My 2006 Chevy malibu has been losing engine power. The power reduces and then disables. I took it to Chevy to run diagnostic and OF COURSE they say we have to REPLACE the ECM and the Catalytic converter. I dont trust this at all because if the ECM needed replacement the car wouldnt start at all right? the tech says that he cant communicate with the ECM to download software and he also says that you cant rebuild an ECM. Should I get a second opinion? They are talking big money here and I know I can find these parts cheaper. Would it be better to replace it or salvage an ECM or catalytic converter?

Your car doesnt need the Ecm and the Catylitic Converter, they just want to rip you off thats what Dealers do best in, from my knowledge if your car loses power that doesnt mean a car is going to need a Catalytic Converter the only time when the Catalytic Converter fails is when it rattles the sound is like if you have a can and theres rocks in it, thats a noice that would come from the Catalytic Converter that has failed. The Ecm doesnt have anything to do with a car thats losing power, it could be a Ignition Coil thats bad it can be a bad fuel Injector, bad Spark Plugs or Spark Plug Cables, the only way to tell whats wrong with the car is to connect a Scan Tool to check for Codes.
Old April 16th, 2010, 5:00 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by naylahknee

I did some research based on the code that your car has and the what the Dealer told you about the Ecm that has to be changed its true it does have too be changed your code P0601 says that the Control Module is Malfuntioning, you could get a Ecm from a Salavge yard or check or from Parts Planet.com they have parts maybe you acn get it cheaper or try looking in a Salvage Yard.
Old April 16th, 2010, 5:52 PM
Impala Super Moderator

BCM not ECM
Old April 16th, 2010, 5:52 PM
Impala Super Moderator

And your car does need a CC. For emissions
Old April 17th, 2010, 1:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
BCM not ECM
Its ECM thats what the discription of the code gives ECM not BCM.