Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Please Help, car won't start!!

Search this Thread

Old July 21st, 2009, 1:08 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help, car won't start!!

I own a 2002 Malibu and it will not start it is sitting about 5 miles away from my house right now. Went swimming for about an hour and came back and it won't start. Tried jumping it, didn't work, didn't even turn like it was going to start, so put a new battery in and still nothing. It makes like one little click when you try to turn it, but otherwise, nothing it is completely dead, and I cannot live without my car, please what could this be and how can I fix it? Thank you!
Old July 21st, 2009, 1:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it wo'nt start with a jump it is most likely your starter. I have already done the research for you and a new starter at Autozone is 196 dollars with a 32 dollar core charger.
Old July 21st, 2009, 12:25 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I payed way less for my starter. Go to pepboys. Just for the chance of misdiagnose; take the original to them. One, they can test it. Two, you won't have to pay a core charge.

Changing the starter is very very easy. It's straight forward but it is a bit of a pain. I believe I posted a thread with information on how to remove and replace the starter. There is a wire that has a weave ground. Don't put anything on that tower. There is one that is smaller. That is your ignition wire. It will only fit on that post. So don't put the others on it. Then there is a black and red wire. Those both go on the big tower/post/terminal/whatever you call it. One comes from the battery to the starter and the other goes from the starter to the alternator. If you ground that wire out you will lose your alternator and will then have another repair on your hands. I believe I payed 130 for my starter.

BTW, the black plastic piece that covers the torque converter... break it. It serves no purpose and you would have to drop the trans to remove it. That is the only way to remove one of the Starter bolts.

Have fun. It's not too hard. It helps if you know what you're doing.
Old July 21st, 2009, 2:18 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

try tapping the starter with a small hammer or the butt end of a screwdriver. You may be able to jar the brushes enough to get it started to drive it home to you can work on it there
Old July 21st, 2009, 5:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tapped my starter with a hammer for a whole year untill the magnents broke then I finnaly decided it was time to replace it lol
Old July 21st, 2009, 7:14 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you do not have to break the black piece to remove it and you do not have to remove the trans.....remove the bolts from it and pull it down
Old July 21st, 2009, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used the hammer trick and now it has started several times, I am going to replace my starter here soon! Thanks everyone.