Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

problem in speedometer and speed indicator

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem in speedometer and speed indicator

hi guys, i have a Chevy malibu ls 2002 and in the last few days, i started seeing some problems in speedometer, sometimes the speed indicator start playing from 0 to 40 then goes down to zero then back to 30 or any other number. sometimes when i just started driving the speed indicator stuck in a 0, then when i push the gas very strong the speed indicator goes up to 30 or whatever the speed is. one day i experience a problem in a transmission so when i switch from park to drive or reverse a big noise happened in the engine then the check engine appeared, and after one day the check engine went off. i do not know what is the problem. if there is any solution to that please tell me.thank you.
Old May 21st, 2012, 7:16 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

There is a speed sensor in the transmission which sends a signal to the speedometer. This is probably bad or the wiring to it is bad. Don't know where it is on your car, but should not be too hard to change? You need to read the code when the light is on. Go Autozone when it appears and they will read the code for free.
Old May 21st, 2012, 9:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Post problem in speedometer and speed indicator

Have you checked the stepper motor in cluster?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
There is a speed sensor in the transmission which sends a signal to the speedometer. This is probably bad or the wiring to it is bad. Don't know where it is on your car, but should not be too hard to change? You need to read the code when the light is on. Go Autozone when it appears and they will read the code for free.
thank you body.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by johntaps
Have you checked the stepper motor in cluster?
no, i didn't check the stepper motor i cluster. when i asked about this problem, they told me that the speed sensor is bad. i want to change it but i do not know where is its location.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 1:06 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by kamal
no, i didn't check the stepper motor i cluster. when i asked about this problem, they told me that the speed sensor is bad. i want to change it but i do not know where is its location.
Remove dash face plate and gauge cluster and Disassemble cluster. Inside the cluster stepper motor is located and holded by 4 points.
Old May 23rd, 2012, 7:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

There was a recall on the stepper motors by Chevrolet. Changed them myself on the Trailblazer. Not too hard if you can solder.