Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Theft Deterrent Module

Search this Thread

Old July 23rd, 2019, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Theft Deterrent Module

Hello everybody, I have a Malibu 2009 LT. I lost my keys and bought some cheap keys with transponder from ebay. Tried to reprogram the module by the 3 x 10 minutes procedure, but no luck.
Got an Maxisys Elite for few days and when I try to setup the Theft Deterrent Module got the error message: "VIN stored on Diagnostic tool does not match that retrieved from this vehicle". (but the VIN was correctly read at app start-up and correctly shown on the screen).
Also tried with a GM Tech2 to do a setup of TDM and failed with the error: "No Communications with Vehicle. Check Diagnostic Link Connector. Check Ignition (On/Off)". But other diagnostics work ok, but this message appear just when I try to setup the TDM.
The car worked ok until I lost the keys few days ago... Is it possible that TDM dead just now? Is it the TDM a separate module from ECU? Does it store the VIN from ECU?
Any other advice?
Thanks