Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2015, 11:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default please help

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Greenfield3,

I am sorry to hear about your experience. I would like to look into this for you. Please private message me your name, VIN, phone number, address, and dealership. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

I have a 2011 chevy cruze with this same exact issue and we have small children please help
Old January 10th, 2015, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced Power on Interstate tonight nearly crashed

I have a 2010 Malibu and was driving back to Florida today from Indiana. About 30 miles outside Tampa, suddenly, the traction light and reduced power warning came on and the car started shaking. I was traveling south on I-75 and traffic was heavy. I was also in the fast lane. I was very fortunate to be able to pull off to the right and get out of traffic as the car slowed to about 35 MPH. Very scary and angry at the same time. Angry as I just had the car in to the dealer in Indiana to complete the recall work on the car. I let the car wit for a while and when I started it up again everything cleared and I was able to get home. I need to understand if this is a part of the recalls on the malibu, and I if so, why the dealer disnt make sure it was fixed. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be addressed immediately.
Old January 11th, 2015, 5:08 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Dshannon123
I have a 2010 Malibu and was driving back to Florida today from Indiana. About 30 miles outside Tampa, suddenly, the traction light and reduced power warning came on and the car started shaking. I was traveling south on I-75 and traffic was heavy. I was also in the fast lane. I was very fortunate to be able to pull off to the right and get out of traffic as the car slowed to about 35 MPH. Very scary and angry at the same time. Angry as I just had the car in to the dealer in Indiana to complete the recall work on the car. I let the car wit for a while and when I started it up again everything cleared and I was able to get home. I need to understand if this is a part of the recalls on the malibu, and I if so, why the dealer disnt make sure it was fixed. This is a serious safety issue and needs to be addressed immediately.
Hi Dshannon123,

I'm so sorry to hear that you experienced this concern while driving. I can certainly understand how you feel. We'd be glad to look into this for you and touch base with your dealership on your behalf. If we can further assist you, please send us a private message here on the site!

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old January 13th, 2015, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced power problem

I just has the same thing happen to me. I was driving on the post road in ct and the car began to shake and the reduce power light came on and then there was a message about traction. The car slowed down from 40 to 10 mph. THIS IS SCARY AND DANGEROUS. I am calling dealer now to get it in today. Does Chevy corporate know about this problem. Someone is going to get hurt. I hope they will fix my car at little or no cost.
Old January 13th, 2015, 9:06 AM
CF Beginner

Cool ENG POWER REDUCED on MALIBU

This is same exact thing that is happening to my 2011 malibu. It began last January during our Michigan 'polar Vortex' right after my bumper to bumper warranty expired. Almost got into multiple accident, and finally stopped after the polar vortex calmed down. Drove to Florida end of February and happened twice in cinncinati on the bridge , this was the scariest moment to this date, luckily we managed to pull over somehow and as I have been doing , turn the car off, count to 20 and start it again and drive. After that, nothing for the rest of the year till this past week again with the DEEP sub zero freeze weather. The dealership told its an issue with the malibus so basically suck it up, now its happening again, going to take it to another dealership and see if changing the throttle position sensor will be covered - not sure what can be done- but I dont think ill be buying any chevys again. Is there a recall? This is very dangerous issue and from the looks of it, lots of people are experiencing this issue.

Last edited by hahmedca; January 13th, 2015 at 9:12 AM.
Old January 13th, 2015, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Default Throttle Body Replaced

I'm new to the forum. I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado New Body Style. Check Engine Light came on and I replaced the throttle body/sensor. The light turned off for a few days and came back on. I then switched it out and the light is still on. The code at Autozone is still reading throttle body sensor. What else should I check or could this be. Thanks for any help.
Old January 13th, 2015, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Default Dangerous Power Engine Reduce!!!

I have had this happen to me in many occasions!!! This is very scary and very dangerous. Seems to me it's more than just me!! This problem should be Chevys problem and they should have it as a recall because there are so many people who are having the same problem and have brought it in and spent way too much money and the problem is still not fixed! I feel like they don't care, and they will have it as a recall when someone tragically dies because of it. Why should I be afraid to drive my own car? I am scared to go on the freeway or the highway. Some days I'm lucky, and I will start my car and not even make it down the block because the power engine reduced (safety feature) will come on. Which means I can't drop my kids off at school or daycare and I can't even get to my job!! It is not fun driving down the freeway doing ninety with your three children in the back, you're surrounded by other vehicles and your car just slows down!!! This is so bad, I'm thinking of taking this to my lawyer, all of the sensors on this car are rotting away! I am so mad and disappointed, I will NEVER buy or suggest any Chevy vehicle to anyone@
Old January 13th, 2015, 8:10 PM
CF Beginner

Default Decreased and dangerous power issues

My daughter was on route 1 in college park MD when the decreased engine power light went on and the cruze crawled to 2 mph she almost died due to traffic. Once car was turned off and engine reset she was able to drive back to her apartment. We had the car towed to Sports Chevrolet in Silver Spring and they are diagnosing it. Will chevy pay for these repairs? Do they even know what is causing this? I've read it could be the battery terminal or the gas throttle .. Who knows? Also customers who have had this fixed have the problem happen again (seems to happen during cold weather) Does chevy even care about their customer base? I own 2 Chevys but these 2 may be my last
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:05 AM
CF Beginner

Default Very Disappointed

I have a 2011 Malibu LTZ. I experienced the "Engine Power Reduced" and "Srvc ESC" lights accompanied by a total power loss. Scary, Scary stuff. I had it towed last night to my local dealer who called and informed me, of course, the throttle body is bad. I have heard so much about this that I had to ask him how many more times I would be back in there after the repair was made because I haven't heard of anyone who got it handled in one shot. I also asked about the possibility of it being a corroded or broken ground like I have heard. I have been assured that this will take care of the problem. I must say my confidence is less than high. On top of this, the suspension noise in these cars are horrible, but like everything else, "we cant find anything wrong so it must be ok." It sucks to be making payments on a vehicle and then get slapped with an almost $800 repair bill. Absolutely not something I can afford at this point. I am highly disappointed in the complacency of GM on this issue. This problem happens in traffic, I cannot imagine some of the close calls out there caused by this manufacturers defect. Guess its cheaper to take a chance on having to pay a few million in lawsuits than to recall and fix the car right. I will pay for the services and finish paying off this car but it will take a miracle to put another GM product in my driveway.
Old January 14th, 2015, 12:24 AM
CF Beginner

Default Resolution??????

Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Service
Hi Dshannon123,

I'm so sorry to hear that you experienced this concern while driving. I can certainly understand how you feel. We'd be glad to look into this for you and touch base with your dealership on your behalf. If we can further assist you, please send us a private message here on the site!

Andraya
Chevrolet Customer Care

What is being done??? Thousands of people up in arms over there GM product because of this very problem. I would be absolutely shocked if no one has been killed over this manufacturer defect. And besides the safety aspect of it, its expensive. I will be out $1200 between a car payment and repairs this week. I expect to have to maintain and repair a vehicle, but this is a plague, this isn't a minor TSB any more, this is a safety issue that should be recalled. Even after this repair most people continue to experience the same problem. So now I have to put my wife and kids in this car, as its our only mode of transportation, and pray that it doesn't reoccur while she is pulling into traffic or in the middle of major traffic at 60 plus MPH. So all these people have a GM product that they have no confidence in.....I cant see that being very grand for future customer relations. Im not big on lawsuits by no means, but I am going to make sure I print a good portion of the endless pages on other forums about this problem as well as all my comments, replies hoping that someone at Chevrolet Customer Service raises enough of a stink that their higher ups wake up and realize they have a problem on their hands.

Last edited by Hendrix5407; January 14th, 2015 at 12:30 AM.

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!