Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Old August 21st, 2017, 11:42 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gravydog316
I think anything less than 6 cylinders, & you're gonna have problems
i would definitely start by doing the easy repair attempts first. Watch the U Tube video on cleaning the throttle body with the CRC spray made just for the throttle body. If then it appears to be running normally, add a can of Seafoam to your gas tank. I had the same problem at the same mileage with my Camaro and the cleaning described solved the problem. Over three months now and no issues. A mechanic will want to replace the throttle body and / or various sensors so you are correct to use them as a last resort.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 9:40 AM
CF Beginner

I am now having the same exact problem with my 2011 chevy malibu. It is currently at the dealer again. I picked up my car yesterday after being told that throttle body needed to be repaired. They are now trying to charge me to look at some wires in a harness. I am furious at this point and out of thousands of dollars.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

I am dealing with the same issue and wondering why there is no recall on this issue.
Old September 22nd, 2017, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default Engine power reduced 2011 chevy malibu

The first time this happened ti me i was on my way to work driving on the highway. The speed automatically reduced and the engine power reduced lights were flashing along with several other codes. The car was violently shaking and the speed reduced to less than 10mph. I took the car to the dealer and they said the throttle body must be replaced and soleniods. Picked the car up 3 days later and the same thing happened not even 10 minutes after driving it. I took it back to the dealer and now im waiting. This should be a recall as so many people are having the same issue and the dealer is trouble shooting the issues on the customers time and money. They should just say they dont know how to fix it and recall. I would never buy another chevy and will get rid of thia car as soon as possible.
Old December 18th, 2017, 12:42 PM
CF Beginner

Default Reduced engine power

Hey all! Having the same issues. Have a 2011 Chevy Malibu. Wouldn't let me go above 20mph, reduced engine power, and traction control light on. Also dash lights dimmed and then came back on. Sounds like throttle body but also heard could be a shortage in the fuse box. Anyone have this issue or know?
Old December 18th, 2017, 4:16 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had that with 2 Malibus (98 & 05) both times was the power steering
might be the same with you,
but keep me updated please
Old January 1st, 2018, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

2017 Malibu - same thing happening. Twice now. But both times I got the warning and engine power reduction (went down to 10MPH) on roads that were 15 to 20 MPH and curves. First time in Big Bear Cali at 6500 Feet Above sea level, next time at home. But both times were on tight curvy roads going about 25 MPH or less. I have 22,000 miles on the car, and I am taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. . I purchased it at the dealership so should be covered on warranty. I will report back here. Not happy
Old January 1st, 2018, 11:55 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Merritt
2017 Malibu - same thing happening. Twice now. But both times I got the warning and engine power reduction (went down to 10MPH) on roads that were 15 to 20 MPH and curves. First time in Big Bear Cali at 6500 Feet Above sea level, next time at home. But both times were on tight curvy roads going about 25 MPH or less. I have 22,000 miles on the car, and I am taking it in tomorrow to the dealer. . I purchased it at the dealership so should be covered on warranty. I will report back here. Not happy
Malibus sure seem to have been having this issue more than any others...
since before 2000;
electronic power steering & the computers were the reason then.
I had a '98, an '05 & a '08,
& the 98 & 05 lost power...
& my dads truck lost power because it was so cold, the engine would thaw, then re-freeze because of the warm engine's moisture freezing...
but keep everyone updated please
Old January 2nd, 2018, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

dropped off at the dealer today, and just got a call, they did diagnostics and it's the "throttle sensor" that is causing the issue. I live in California, so don't have Canadian Cold Issues here, but just as bad can be the heat fluctuations from the mountains to the beaches. The first time it happened I went from 80 F town up to 24 F town 6500 feet above sea level. Could have caused a problem, but never know. Will report back IF I have issues after the sensor is replaced.
Old January 20th, 2018, 6:44 AM
CF Beginner

2011 Malibu
102000 miles
Purchased used in October, car fax was clean, records showed no problems like this and now The "reduced power to engine" what i refer to as breakdown has happened 3x in the last week and half. The engine light and traction control light comes one and the dash reads, 1) ENG POWER REDUCED, 2) SERVICE ENG, 3) SERVICE TRACTION. The diagnostic the mechanic gets is Can shaft sensor and Throttle something. He has replaced both but the problem still happens, even with the parts being replaced.

Looking for an answer to this problem, but so many post from so many models and not seeing any with good outcomes. Heartbroken that Malibu has failed me

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!