Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:18 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!

Search this Thread

Old January 20th, 2018, 7:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am with you. 3x in the last week and half. Mechanic said Cam shaft sensor, replaced it and not even 10 miles away it went to reduced power again, back to shop and got diagnostic of throttle body. Mechanic replaced it, got half way to work (about 30 miles and the same thing. This time his diagnostic read Cam shaft sensor and throttle body, both in which he just replaced. He replace both AGAIN and I didn't even make it a mile down the road. He is not charging me due to the problem not getting fixed and for that I am so thankful but I am not finding an answers from GM or Chevy, seeing lots of people with this problem in a variety of models and heartbroken because I have always loved my Malibus.

2011 Malibu
102000 miles
Traction control and engine light come on, dash reads 1) ENG POWER REDUCED, 2)SERVICE ENG, 3) SERVICE TRACTION.
Mechanic stumped, going on 2 weeks with no car.
Old January 20th, 2018, 7:21 AM
CF Beginner

2011 Malibu
102000 miles
Problem started on Jan 9, 2018
Dash reads, 1) ENG PWR REDUCED, 2) SERVICE TRACTION, 3) SERVICE ENG
Traction and Engine light on.

So far the Can shaft sensor has been replace as well as the throttle body, Neither have fixed the problem.
Old January 20th, 2018, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hahmedca
Hi Julia
i know how frustrating that can be ! I got my throttle body fixed at the dealer for about $500 and issue hasn't come back and it's been 2.5 years now ! I don't know why they would suggest transmission as the problem ! I came to this forum and diagnosed it myself after never getting a straight answer !! Best of luck
Cam shaft sensor and Throttle body both replaced in my 2011 Malibu and it did not fix the problem. Still looking for the fix.
Old January 20th, 2018, 7:40 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Alexis Myhrum
Hey all! Having the same issues. Have a 2011 Chevy Malibu. Wouldn't let me go above 20mph, reduced engine power, and traction control light on. Also dash lights dimmed and then came back on. Sounds like throttle body but also heard could be a shortage in the fuse box. Anyone have this issue or know?
Have you been able to get the problem fixed?

2011 Malibu
102000 Miles
Having the same problem. The Cam shaft senor was replaced as well as the throttle body but still having the same problem.
Old January 23rd, 2018, 6:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default Someone has to do something

I also have had this problem and I’ve been dealing with this for over year to try to solve this problem and no where will they do anything to help me because now it’s basically out of warranty and I was told that the throttle body itself had a warranty . My car has came to a complete halt twice while I was in drive and that is also due to the throttlebody and it’s problems that has. They know that this compartment has problems and they will not do anything to fix it but just sell a car that comes with a problem or may not come with the problem. I am so disappointed in chevy and the customer service that they are offering and the help that no one seems to want to give. I feel it’s a mistake that I went with Shelby and I think everyone should also be aware that chevy will do nothing to help you out, sad to say but maybe only a death will make them realize what they are doing and fix the problem before they sell another car.
Old February 6th, 2018, 10:43 PM
CF Beginner

Hello,Jessica I live in Houston Texas and I to am having a reduced power problem with my 2012 Chevy Malibu is there a near by dealership I can contact that can cover this or fix this issue quick. let me know here or email. @ msindepent27@gmail.com
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:04 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ignition switch

Originally Posted by Carrie73
2011 Malibu
102000 miles
Purchased used in October, car fax was clean, records showed no problems like this and now The "reduced power to engine" what i refer to as breakdown has happened 3x in the last week and half. The engine light and traction control light comes one and the dash reads, 1) ENG POWER REDUCED, 2) SERVICE ENG, 3) SERVICE TRACTION. The diagnostic the mechanic gets is Can shaft sensor and Throttle something. He has replaced both but the problem still happens, even with the parts being replaced.

Looking for an answer to this problem, but so many post from so many models and not seeing any with good outcomes. Heartbroken that Malibu has failed me

Hello I was having the same problem I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu have you booked anyting or hit a curb or been on any rough roadways? Even if not it sounds like your ignition switch is out it happened to me and eventually it well shut the car down all together I I checked mine and found it to be bad I work on cars as a hobby some of these Malibu models have a recall on the ignition switch unfortunately my VIN number was not one of them ugh... But yours may be good luck I hope this helps I hate that you have to spend so much on a dealership or mechanic that's why I work on cars as a hobby to help people not have to pay those ridiculous prices for something that doesn't take very much time to fix
Old February 15th, 2018, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default Ignition switch

As I just stated above your issue sounds exactly like my 2004 Malibu Classic I found it to be the ignition switch I work on cars as a hobby and that's what I narrowed it down to. Some of these models have a recall on the ignition switch if you give them your VIN number they will check for you. Unfortunately mine was not one of those models. It's an easy fix as well as it doesn't cost nearly as much as a camshaft which is what all the dealers want to keep replacing and that's not even the issue. Maybe you can investigate it further and see if that's the problem eventually it will start to die as you're driving and even if you jump it it will continue to die that's how I knew it was the ignition switch. Sometimes the alternator can cause that but you can always take your positive off the battery while it's running if the car dies it's your alternator if it stays running it's not but my guess is the ignition switch good luck and I hope this helps you!!
Old June 10th, 2018, 2:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2013 Chevy Malibu LTZ

I got my car used currently I am still paying it off. I purchased it at 68,000 miles. I am currently at 100,000 a little over. At about 99,000 miles my car has been displaying a "engine power reduced" on the screen. I don't know why or the purchase. I been ignoring it, but it's been popping up a lot lately. I feel scared driving it when it pops up especially since I have a baby. Anyone going through this or has had the same issue. Please let me know. How much was your price to fix this?
Old June 13th, 2018, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default Oii

Believe it or not this happened to me and my Malibu until one day it finally shut down I was giving it gas and going nowhere there is a mechanism in these Malibus that they put in to shut your engine down if you're low on oil so you don't blow it up I don't know if that's your case here but you may want to check that and see boy did I feel silly and I work on cars as a hobby LOL if that's not it let me know. Hopefully you figured it out by now good luck

Originally Posted by Celinarodr
I got my car used currently I am still paying it off. I purchased it at 68,000 miles. I am currently at 100,000 a little over. At about 99,000 miles my car has been displaying a "engine power reduced" on the screen. I don't know why or the purchase. I been ignoring it, but it's been popping up a lot lately. I feel scared driving it when it pops up especially since I have a baby. Anyone going through this or has had the same issue. Please let me know. How much was your price to fix this?

Quick Reply: VERY dangerous reduced engine power issue!!