Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:21 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

Where is the Actuator? Blend door for a/c Instructions for Removal?

Old May 14th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where is the Actuator? Blend door for a/c Instructions for Removal?

HI!

Can anyone help me? I have a 2004 Chevy Malibu. I was told I may need an Actuator.. (blend door) for the A/C as it's blowing cold only on one side. I'm wondering there that is located specifically? I was told it's behind the glove box and then it's on the drivers side somewhere. Are there specific instructions for removal? I printed some but they are vague. I need to clear up where the actuator is and about the fuse, they are not labeled by name, and I'm not sure which one to pull. Any help greatly appreciated
Thank you
Old May 14th, 2012, 9:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forum. 2004 Malibu what, Classic, LS, LT, MAXX? By "blowing cold only on one side," if you're talking about driver side vs. passenger, I'm not sure what actuator it could be. I didn't think there was ever a dual-zone climate control in a Malibu.
Old May 15th, 2012, 8:07 AM
CF Beginner

Default My Malibu

Hi

It's the plain old Malibu. It's blowing cold air on the passenger side and warm on the drivers side. They sell a blend door (actuator) for this car.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

It sounds like one of the air doors came off its hinge or something obstructing the air delivery to the driver side in which case it's not an actuator problem. Anyway, the answer to your original question is ...

The mode actuator is on the passenger side of the HVAC case (the glove compartment needs to come off first):

The air temperature actuator is on the other side (driver side):

And, the fuse that needs to be pulled is labeled HVAC CTRL (BATT) in the I/P fuse block.
Old May 17th, 2012, 8:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hi,

I did remove that one on the passenger side and ordered it online. Is the one on the other side something I should replace as well?

Thanks for the information.
Old May 17th, 2012, 9:45 PM
CF Veteran

Frankly I don't endorse replacing actuators for the symptom you described. Since I can't be there to take a look myself, I have to defer to your judgment.
Old May 18th, 2012, 9:01 AM
Former Sponsor

Post Where is the Actuator? Blend door for a/c Instructions for Removal?

Yes, cold air on the passenger side and warm air on the driver side are the symptoms of a bad blend door actuator. Second thing, there is no need to change anything on the driver side along with the passenger side actuator. When you got the actuator and replace it with existance one, just share your thoughts after that.
Old May 18th, 2012, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by johntaps
Yes, cold air on the passenger side and warm air on the driver side are the symptoms of a bad blend door actuator. Second thing, there is no need to change anything on the driver side along with the passenger side actuator. When you got the actuator and replace it with existance one, just share your thoughts after that.
No, pay attention, dude. This vehicle doesn't have a dual-zone climate control system. Shouldn't you be doing more about the irate customers on TheAutoPartsShop.com Reviews - theautopartsshop.com Ratings at ResellerRatings rather than spending time here spewing nonsense?
Old May 22nd, 2012, 3:18 PM
CF Beginner

Okay, what did I do wrong? I ordered the blend door and received it, installed it and still no A/C on the drivers side AND now my fan adjustment is off, the dash setting blows the floor and the floor setting blows the dash. It's confused, out of time? Not sure how? Any suggestions? Thank you so much for your help.
Old June 15th, 2012, 8:20 PM
CF Beginner

My AC is fixed After replacing the two actuators, I charged the system and now it's working just fine Thanks for all the help.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Where is the Actuator? Blend door for a/c Instructions for Removal?