Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2001 Monte Carlo - replacing stereo

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2013, 1:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Monte Carlo - replacing stereo

Hi, first post here. I was hoping that someone could answer a few questions about replacing the head unit in my car.

I'd prefer to keep the interior stock, does anyone know of a vendor where I could purchase an OEM stereo, that doesn't need to be unlocked by a dealer, at a reasonable price?

If I do choose to go with an aftermarket stereo, can anyone tell me what parts I will need to fully install it. I know I'll need a mount, an antenna adaptor, and I believe some kind of other module but I'm not certain about that.

Thanks
Old January 9th, 2013, 2:20 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced the stereo on my old 2000 Monte with a used one I got off ebay. You will have to get a stock replacement unlocked, as it gets VIN matched to the car. My local Chevy dealer was nice and didn't charge me, took all of just a few minutes for them to do. What's wrong with your stereo? Mine was the CD player not working, and it's now collecting dust on the shelf.
Old January 9th, 2013, 10:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all sound was fading in and out for a few weeks. I'm reasonably sure its not a speaker problem since when it was working it sounded perfectly fine. The unit would work fine for a few weeks, then I'd get nothing at all for a day or two before starting to work again. Recently it has stopped working completely.
Old January 10th, 2013, 12:02 AM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried fiddling with the SCV (speed compensated volume) ****? Maybe that thing is goofed up.