Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2002 Monticarlo 3.8. Replace belt tensioner

Search this Thread

Old March 8th, 2018, 11:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Monticarlo 3.8. Replace belt tensioner

Have to go to my daughters out of town to replace serp belt. I suspect the tensioner is shot as there was I'm told a lot of noise and smoke before it happened. My son in law says the boogy wheel on tensioner does not rotate
Question is: Is there water lines going through the mount? Does the alternator need to come off? Anything I need in special tools. I want to be sure I take everything I need.

To all answers Thank you very much.
Old March 19th, 2018, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have not already figured it out on your own, it pretty simple fix. Most likely the idler pulley is just seized. The pulley can be replaced without removing the tensioner assembly, just remove the coolant reservoir to access the idler pulley and remove the pulley bolt (left handed thread) and replace the pulley. Check the water pump pulley and other pulleys to make sure melted rubber didn't build up on the surfaces during belt melt down and clean with a wire wheel or brush if there is a build up before installing the new belt.