Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body
Old July 22nd, 2015, 12:37 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior
Print Wikipost

2005 Monte Carlo blowing cold air

Search this Thread

Old January 13th, 2013, 7:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Monte Carlo blowing cold air

Hi All.

I searched and did not find this specific question for this particular car. I have a 05 Monte Carlo 3.8 liter that is blowing cold air when the heat is on, seems as though I can feel some warmer air blowing when I first accelerate, but once I hit cruising speed (55 -60mph) the air blowing isnt even warm. Since I live in MN and the current temp is about 5 degrees above zero I expect the car to take a little longer to warm up.

I have tried the following things.

Checked coolant level (all is good)
Replaced the thermostat and bled system.

Prior to replacing the thermostat the temp gauge would not come close to half way, following replacing the thermostat it would hit the halfway mark on the gauge and then fall back down.

It doesn't seem to matter if I have the defrost or vents on, just blowing cold once I am not heavy on the gas..

The hoses running to and from the heater core are both hot when at running temp. I had noticed since I bought the car, that when I start the car and turn & stop the car I could hear fluid sloshing around under the dash, but nothing is leaking inside or outside the car, this sound is no longer there so I am wondering if my heater core might be plugged?
Old January 13th, 2013, 7:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

If the heater core was clogged then one heater hose would be hotter than the other one. More than likely you have a bad blend door actuator.
Old January 13th, 2013, 8:49 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
If the heater core was clogged then one heater hose would be hotter than the other one. More than likely you have a bad blend door actuator.
Thanks for the quick reply and idea! I was thinking the same thing with the hoses both being hot. If you don't mind another question, if the blend door actuator was faulty, wouldn't the air blowing not change from vent to defrost? The air stays cold wether its coming from the vent or defrost. Sorry if its a dumb question, but prior to this I have lucked out in regards to car trouble not including dashboard issues. Thanks again for the quick reply!
Old January 14th, 2013, 9:45 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

The blend door actuator has nothing to do with which vent it is blowing from. That is another actuator. Not familiar with the Monte Carlo, but some vehicles have 3 or 4 actuators.
Old January 14th, 2013, 1:40 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
The blend door actuator has nothing to do with which vent it is blowing from. That is another actuator. Not familiar with the Monte Carlo, but some vehicles have 3 or 4 actuators.
Thanks! I'll check it out.
Old January 14th, 2013, 4:34 PM
CF Beginner

I think these are both the same actuator part number, but the blend door actuator affects cold to hot and the mode door actuator affects where the air is blowing, floor to defrost etc. I have a similar problem with my pickup but it is intermittant. If your car has temp settings for driver and passenger then there will be more actuators to check. Once you find them, you can generally put your finger on the bottom of the actuator itself and tell if it moves when you turn the temp control from cold to hot and vice versa. I have also heard of certain vehicles with issues in the control module itself or with the blend door being stuck in one position.
Old January 15th, 2013, 1:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by billboyd
I think these are both the same actuator part number, but the blend door actuator affects cold to hot and the mode door actuator affects where the air is blowing, floor to defrost etc. I have a similar problem with my pickup but it is intermittant. If your car has temp settings for driver and passenger then there will be more actuators to check. Once you find them, you can generally put your finger on the bottom of the actuator itself and tell if it moves when you turn the temp control from cold to hot and vice versa. I have also heard of certain vehicles with issues in the control module itself or with the blend door being stuck in one position.
I'll have to check it out, thanks! Sometimes I'll get warm air and then the heat just stops and blows cold again.
Old January 15th, 2013, 4:57 PM
CF Beginner

I have the exact opposite problem with my truck. It will be blowing cold air and then all of a sudden stop and blow hot air. Bummer in the summer, but not an issue right now. The intermittent issue is my problem. I'm leaning towards a connection or solder joint somewhere, but just not sure where.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
Old January 24th, 2013, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

OK, I couldn't take the cold any longer and brought car to a local repair shop to be checked out. They found a couple of things with the cooling system that needed to be addressed. First, I did have a leak in the heater hose fittings (elbows), not that this would cause me not to have heat, but I did notice that distinct sweet smell of antifreeze once in a while. The coolant would hit the hot engine and never made it to the ground. The issue with the lack of heat was caused by a plugged up heater core. I had the elbows replaced to the tune of $228.00 (the parts were $9.00) and the rest was labor. The back flushing of the heater core was $56.00. I thought for sure the lack of heat was going to be something a lot more involved, but thankfully it wasn't. Had the weather not been so cold I would have tackled all this myself, but a lack of time and a warm place to work on a car was my deciding factor to have a shop take care of this for me.
Old March 12th, 2013, 6:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by ImaFungi
OK, I couldn't take the cold any longer and brought car to a local repair shop to be checked out. They found a couple of things with the cooling system that needed to be addressed. First, I did have a leak in the heater hose fittings (elbows), not that this would cause me not to have heat, but I did notice that distinct sweet smell of antifreeze once in a while. The coolant would hit the hot engine and never made it to the ground. The issue with the lack of heat was caused by a plugged up heater core. I had the elbows replaced to the tune of $228.00 (the parts were $9.00) and the rest was labor. The back flushing of the heater core was $56.00. I thought for sure the lack of heat was going to be something a lot more involved, but thankfully it wasn't. Had the weather not been so cold I would have tackled all this myself, but a lack of time and a warm place to work on a car was my deciding factor to have a shop take care of this for me.

That's very common on that car, from what I have seen at work. Glad you got it fixed!