Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

96 Lumina - vapor lock?

Old August 6th, 2013, 1:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default color codes

CHEVROLET LUMINA 1992- 2000 VEHICLE WIRING - AlarmSellout on www.gobookee.net - free eBook download

IDK if this helps at all it really does not tell you about purple wire except that's it's ignition which makes since when you turn on ignition you get power at that purple wire you need to scroll down to your year though! you might need this later for testing other wires! also make sure all the wires hooked up at battery terminals are really clean and no broken wires, I think you are doing the right thing about checking relays too because they can cause voltage problems but grounds are very important! another thing if you do fix the voltage problem don't be so sure your pump in the tank is still good!

Last edited by Sean Lapp; August 6th, 2013 at 1:49 PM.
Old August 6th, 2013, 1:50 PM
CF Beginner

Also don't forget to make sure both battery terminals are clean and all the connections going there are clean!
Old August 7th, 2013, 7:14 PM
CF Junior Member

So I finally got my head outta my **** and through another forum found out that the purple wire is voltage for the relay, not the pump It IS the grey wire so Sean and Tech2 you were right!

So I ran the test again. I had my wife crank the car and when cranking I get 12.46volts at the connecter plug in the trunk. Just with the key I still get 12... Looks like I will be dropping the tank this weekend. Am planning on replacing with a Delphi pump and then also a new strainer and a wiring kit from O'Reillys I also read that those wires in the tank are a problem Assuming thats what the wiring kists they sell are replacing?

Last edited by dplantz; August 7th, 2013 at 7:17 PM.
Old August 8th, 2013, 2:57 PM
CF Junior Member

So today at lunch I succeeded in dropping the tank and pulling out the fuel pump assembly. The internal wires all looked good to me, but I ordered the replacement kit anyway. I hooked it up to 12v source and the pump ran. It did seem to squeal some, but I dont know what it is supossed to sound like, so....... Parts will be in tomorrow, hope to have it running by Saturday
Old August 8th, 2013, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

pic of the wires
Attached Thumbnails 96 Lumina - vapor lock?-imgp4192.jpg  
Old August 8th, 2013, 2:59 PM
CF Junior Member

pic of the pump
Attached Thumbnails 96 Lumina - vapor lock?-pump.jpg  
Old August 8th, 2013, 3:00 PM
CF Junior Member

what does this thing do?
Attached Thumbnails 96 Lumina - vapor lock?-double-bubble.gif  
Old August 8th, 2013, 6:49 PM
CF Beginner

Well that's good news if you are getting the kit make sure all your connectors on your old pump are clean of any corrosion or dirt! and IDK what you are showing me maybe a side view?
Old August 12th, 2013, 11:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Ok so replaced fuel pump with a Delphi unit, new strainer and precision works wiring kit. When I tuen on key I can definitly "hear" the pump turning on now, it was very very faint sound before. So far car is running and performing OK. Will monitor for a while and drive in Texas heat this week
Old August 13th, 2013, 6:14 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by dplantz
Ok so replaced fuel pump with a Delphi unit, new strainer and precision works wiring kit. When I tuen on key I can definitly "hear" the pump turning on now, it was very very faint sound before. So far car is running and performing OK. Will monitor for a while and drive in Texas heat this week
Good Job let us know how it works out!

Sean

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Lumina - vapor lock?