Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

97 lumina starter

Search this Thread

Old January 10th, 2018, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 97 lumina starter

Ok well, I have a 97 chevy lumina 3.1 engine. I replaced the starter solenoid after having the starter tested and found out it was a bad solenoid. So when I hooked everything up when I went to hook up the battery the positive cable smoked a little and the starter gets engaged and wouldn't shut off until I unhooked the battery from it. Everything is wired the way it was when I took it off and all the bolt are in the right places so can anyone tell me what possibly would cause the starter to engage as soon as the battery is connected? Keys were out of the car so I know the ignition was not on. Does anyone have a diagram of the wiring to the solenoid so I can verify it is connected correctly? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Old January 11th, 2018, 7:17 AM
CF Monarch

Received 336 Likes on 317 Posts

Either the new solenoid is faulty or you are connecting the battery cable to the wrong post on the solenoid.