Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Makin it louder. inconspicuously

Search this Thread

Old June 30th, 2010, 2:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Makin it louder. inconspicuously

I have a 97 lumina that i just got so i dont really know anything about it yet. i was wondering how to make it louder without messin takin the muffler or the glass pack off (I think its a glass pack not really sure though). any help?
Old June 30th, 2010, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

ok i just looked on the internet and it may be a resinator. i always thought they put them in front of the muffler but once again im not for sure. im not extremely mechanically inclined on newer vehicles.
Old July 10th, 2010, 8:49 AM
Impala Super Moderator

What exactly are you trying to do?
Old July 11th, 2010, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Im trying to make it a little bit louder so that it sounds like it can run. (which it can trust me). and it sounds like crap while it is quite.
Old July 12th, 2010, 4:52 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Ubend delete, take the resonator out, 2.5in Downpipe, new mufflers..
Old October 11th, 2010, 10:58 PM
CF Beginner

Being as though u say u r not mechanically inclined may I suggest this before u go to the exhaust shop, the car is a 97, I'm gonna guess a 3.1, u don't have any mods, and the car is performing well as it is. I just want to first point out that any changes in the exhaust can actually lower your performance and hp. Like if u were to put bigger exhaust on the car, and a design that flowed really well, u would lose hp, sounds wrong but the truth is hot exhaust flows better than cooler exhaust, so a 2inch pipe will flow more exhaust than a 2.5 inch pipe, the reason is that the exhaust is able to flow into a bigger area therefor cooling down and losing velocity. That being said, if u want a cooler sound and don't have the $ for exhaust, go get some spectre perts from ur auto parts store and make a cold air intake, try to have it lead outside of the engine bay for maximum results, you will be surprised how different an aluminum elbow and conical open element air filter will make in how your car sounds, don't go too big on the pipe though.
Old January 11th, 2018, 12:51 PM
CF Beginner

I just made a video about replacing the resonator on suburban, you can see how it looks, enjoy!
installing SLP resonator delete #31059
and there is also different muffler than the stock one - it's a Flowmaster Super 40