Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

98 lumina won't start "sometimes"

Search this Thread

Old March 7th, 2011, 1:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 lumina won't start "sometimes"

I think I know the problem but not the fix. Once in a while the old girl (198K) wont start. When I run through the column gear selector it will eventually start leading me to believe the my problem is with the "neutral position switch" mounted on the transmission. There is an adjustment piece on the "neutral position switch" but the dealer tech wasn't aware of it. They mentioned a process of loosening a cable, putting the trans in neutral, aligning with a slot and tightening it down. Any help with particulars on the adjustment or other ideas would be appreciated.

Mike
Old March 9th, 2011, 7:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

thats it. other than that the points in ignition switch lines up with the lock cylinder in the steering column.
Old March 17th, 2011, 11:32 AM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on mine I thought it was the key, or the chip in the key but using the spare didn't work. Let me know what yours ends up being.
Old March 18th, 2011, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Default Still experimenting

This is a stock photo of the neutral position switch that is mounted on top of the transmission, just below the brake fluid reservoir on my 98 lumina. It's hard to see, but in the lower left corner there is a thumb turn adjustment on the device. My Chevy dealer did not know about it...go figure. I "assume" it is and adjustment feature which I have heard come on some of these switches. I cannot reach it from the engine compartment but it is accessible from under the car behind the left front wheel. I have not found any info on how to adjust it so I am simply experimenting and so far so good. I gave it a full turn clockwise about 2 weeks ago and have had no problems starting...so far.
Old November 6th, 2012, 1:31 PM
CF Beginner

mine does that too but I can usually get it started if I give her some gas while I am starting the car. Other than that she runs great. I put in a new gas filter thinking that would help but it did not. I am thinking it could be the vacuum fuel regulator.