Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

98 Monte - Codes pertaining to Shifting ( Sluggish Acceleration from Stop ) )

Search this Thread

Old April 3rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Monte - Codes pertaining to Shifting ( Sluggish Acceleration from Stop ) )

My 1998 Monte Carlo has been driving fine for years and all of a sudden My SES light popped on and I realized something was wrong when I would be accelerating from a dead stop.. It is like I am in stuck 2nd or 3rd gear. I read my codes and this is what I had.

P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit
P0753 - Shift Solenoid A Electrical
P0758 - Shift Solenoid B Electrical
P1860 - TCC PWM Solenoid Circuit

I have done multiple searches, but I have had no luck. I am getting multiple hits regarding Chevy Trucks and how replacing the ignition switch may resolve this issue since the circuitry goes through the ignition. Just no luck for a Monte Carlo.
My Question: If this is the same symptoms and replacing the switch will resolve the issue, Should I replace the lock tumbler/Ignition Switch or the Ignition Switch Feed Circuit?
If not and there is another possible solution to this issue, what could it possibly be?

Thanks in advance...
Old April 3rd, 2012, 8:53 PM
CF Beginner

I replaced the Ignition Feed Circuit and the issue still remains. Just an FYI.. Any Ideas?
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Make sure the TRANS fuse in the underhood fuse block isn't blown and check the voltage at that fuse with key ON. It should read battery voltage. That fuse supplies the power to the solenoids inside the transaxle over the PNK wire.
Old April 5th, 2012, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

The fuse was blown, we replaced it and were able to drive it around the block without any issue.

2 hours later and we started the car and the fuse popped again. I took the car over to AAMCO at this point cause I cant figure it out.

They pulled the car in and looked it over for a a few minutes. The diagnosis is that one of the Solenoids is causing a dead short and it has to be replaced. Oh well, this is where I make a exit stage left and let someone drop the tranny and do the work.. It is just a little to much for me at this point..
Old April 5th, 2012, 5:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It's not as bad as you make it sound. They just need to drop the pan, not the whole transmission. Hope they nailed the diagnosis.
Old April 6th, 2012, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah they nailed it.. It was one of the solenoids.
Old July 11th, 2012, 11:14 AM
dad
CF Beginner

Having same problem with 1997 chevy truck. Is there a way to check the electrical on the selionoids without dropping pan?? Could this be the same with my truck?? Thanks Dad