Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Check Engine Light

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2010, 9:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light

I have a 97 Chevy Lumina and am unfortunately the most unknowledgable person when it comes to cars. I ran the OBD test on it because my check engine light was coming on. At first the light would only come on sometimes, it was not constant. For the last three months or so it has been constantly on. The test came back with a random misfire code and an Exhaust Gas Recirculation pintile position error code(actually there were two of these codes, the second code had a symbol next to it that I have no idea what it meant, the obd was my friends and she didn't know either). I'm assuming that all the error codes are related. I honestly just would not even worry about the issue except my car is up for inspection in October and I live in NY, and they use the whole computer system nonsense that they hook your car up to and so it needs to be fixed in order for me to pass. I guess I'm just wondering what needs to be done to it and how much it's going to cost? I have an honest reliable mechanic so I'm not worried about being cheated, so I'm looking for a ball park figure.

Other problems I have with the car is that it vibrates when I brake, it has just as much brake power but it just vibrates harshly if I brake all the way. My mechanic told me it was just a warped rotor most likely. The change oil light also comes on when I start the car and drive it for about two minutes and then it turns off. And it was doing that before I was even close to needing the oil changed. I don't know if any of that is related to the check engine light but I figured I'd throw it in there anyways.

Any help would really be appreciated. Thanks!
Old August 19th, 2010, 1:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my check engine light stays on all the time and still havent figured out the problem? it maybe a O2 sensor someone told me?