Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1995 Lumina Won't Start & Low Volts?

Search this Thread

Old August 20th, 2010, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Lumina Won't Start & Low Volts?

Hey everyone, I'm glad I found this forum. My mother has a 1995 Chevy Lumina car with a 3.1L. It is having a few problems. The check engine light is on, and the "volts" light is on. The car won't start. It seems like it wants to crank over, but it just won't run. The alternator, ignition coil, spark plugs, and wires have been changed. I can't get it to a shop, because it won't run, and I'd like to fix it myself.

I was thinking maybe the battery, but all the lights turn on, keyless entry works, ect. And it seems like it wants to start, but simply can't run. Does anyone have any thoughts on what it may be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old August 20th, 2010, 3:37 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whats your distributor cap and rotor look like? Does it turn over without hesistation? If it keeps turning over battery is prolly fine. Try to take your plug out and see if your getting spark (safely) then report back.
Old August 21st, 2010, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I'm not sure what you mean by the dist. cap & rotor, I don't think the car has one, it has coil packs, though. Here is what has been done to it, that I know of:
(the service engine light & "volts" light were on)

Spark plugs
Wires
Alternator
Crankshaft position sensor (the one behind the harmonic balancer)

I have tried:

Coil packs
Crankshaft position sensor (the one in the back of the engine, closer to the firewall)

The "service engine" light went out after I did the sensor, but the "volts" light is still on.
When I turn the key to the "on" position, I can hear the fuel pump prime itself.

The engine will start and run for about 5 seconds, after it sits for a couple hours. If I try to start it again after that, it seems like it wants to crank over, but just can't run. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by Bob5150; August 21st, 2010 at 4:37 PM.