Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Monte Carlo help...

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2008, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monte Carlo help...

Alright let's just start out here. I know jack squat about cars. Nothing. At all. But my car is having a problem so here's what I do know. I have a '96 Monte Carlo Z34. A little over 104k miles. I tried to start my car today and it got up, but had trouble maintaining itself, and then stopped. Now all it barely revs when I try to start it. Whenever I do, it just whines up and down. The RPM's don't even try to go up really. Lately, what I can think of that might've left up to this is that it has had some trouble starting lately, nothing serious, but sometimes it takes a second go to make it start. Also, sometimes if I hit the brake to hard coming up at a red light, the car will stall and I have to restart it right there in the street real quick, and when it idles in park, the engine will rev itself up past 3k RPM sometimes. Any ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.
Old December 12th, 2008, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Monte Carlo help...

Sounds like a fuel pump or fuel filter. I had a similar problem with starting my 3.1....My filter under the car was a mess. Replaced and all was fine. I would start with the filter. You'll need the fuel line clip removal tool which is cheap to buy and easy to use. Replace the filter and then i would go and have my fuel pressure checked by someone. Won't take 15min. to check. Hopefully your filters a mess and your fuel pressure is fine, otherwords you may have junk floating around in your gas tank.
Old December 12th, 2008, 8:40 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Monte Carlo help...

Forgot to add, i would'nt rule out the TPS Throttle Position Sensor..........Tom