Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

new member.. 91 lumina a/c not working

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2012, 4:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new member.. 91 lumina a/c not working

ok so i got a lumina from my grandfather a year ago and he never turned the a/c on because he was cheap and it dosent work anymore anyways.
when i turn the a/c on the compressor clutch wheel dosent move. i jumped the two wires on the accumulator to see if it was low on refrigerant but the A/C clutch still never kicked on. and i dont know if there is sappose to be power running to the compressor connection but i test both wires and theres no power running to the compressor i assume. so from there i tested the relay. agian with the ac on i removed the relay to see if any of the female connections were getting power and none were.

i checked all the fuses and there all good. there are only two fuse boxes that i know of the under hood and behind the glove box... is there another one?

any help would be great thanks
Old May 27th, 2012, 5:00 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Run 12 volts directly to the clutch and see if it kicks in. There must be a broken wire somewhere. Does it look like any of the wires have been taped or cut?
Old May 31st, 2012, 2:48 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Run 12 volts directly to the clutch and see if it kicks in. There must be a broken wire somewhere. Does it look like any of the wires have been taped or cut?
Unplug the plug to the clutch with the a/c on/running, is there 12 volts there? The pressure switch is a good thought also since you jumpered it in.
Old June 7th, 2012, 9:19 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

check for system pressure. the low pressure switch will inhibit any of the components from functioning. how can it be low system pressure if Grandpa never used it you ask? Well, no matter what the system is in use, when you use the windshield defroster in the winter time or in the rain. Your problem to me, is this car is 20 years old and the seals are only designed to last for 10 years. If you put some gauges on the low side of this car I bet your pressure isnt more than 40psi.