Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Overheating - on my 4th Radiator

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2009, 12:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating - on my 4th Radiator

last christmas i bought a '99 3.1L Monte Carlo. when i bought it, it had been leaking coolant from the timing chain cover, i took it all off, replaced the gasket, problem solved.
midway through last summer, i had some overheating problems and found a pinhole in my radiator up in the top right corner of the radiator (if we were looking from the engine). i replaced the radiator thinking it was just a bum radiator for whatever reason.
short while later, the new radiator blew in the same exact spot. the bottom hose was cool and the top one was hot so i figured my thermostat wasnt opening up and so i replaced the thermostat and the 2nd radiator. (both fans work just fine too)
4 days later my new radiator goes. thank goodness autozone has a lifetime warrantee on all radiators.

anybody here have experience with going through radiators like the Hulk goes through clothes? what could be going on here, im out of ideas
Old November 28th, 2009, 4:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it keeps leaking from the same spot, something is either hitting it, or the car is flexing in a weird way causing it to crack. Just an idea