Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

possible starter issue in '01 monte carlo

Search this Thread

Old August 10th, 2011, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default possible starter issue in '01 monte carlo

Hey everyone,

I have a 2001 monte carlo. About a month ago, every time I started my car it would act like it didn't want to start. Not thinking of anything I let it go till a week later at work. I went to go leave and my car wouldn't start. I had the car towed to a repair facility to have a new starter put in. Now about 3 weeks have gone by since I got the new starter. I went to go start my car the other day and it's making the same noise it did in the beginning. Could it be that the car hasn't been driven often seeing how I drive my 2005 silverado more then my monte carlo? Or could there actually be a serious issue with something hitting or affecting the starter?
Old August 11th, 2011, 5:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't say one way or another, based on your vague descriptions. It's possible that your battery is weak, especially if you aren't giving it a chance to charge back up what's lost during the cranking. What were you told at the shop what exactly was wrong with the vehicle? Did the work order include charging the battery? How old is the battery? What is "the same noise," i.e., clicking, grinding?
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that it was my starter and everything else seemed to be working fine. The battery was put in the car in early March of this year. The same noise as in there's a clicking noise like it wants to start and it hesitates for 5-10 seconds then starts up. Sorry for not being more specific.
Old August 13th, 2011, 11:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you're describing a slow cranking condition. If not the battery, maybe corrosion inside the battery cables and/or loose connections are preventing the full current. There's a reason for the thickness of the red cable that goes to the starter and black cable, to the engine block. The starter motor needs all the current the battery can supply.