New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1999 Chevy Express-mystery not starting

Search this Thread

Old December 1st, 2014, 9:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Express-mystery not starting

Happy Holidays ALL,
Newbie-My 2nd visit here:
I HAVE A 1999 EXPRESS v-6-4.3L- Cargo van- 125,000 mi on it-- 3 weeks ago she would crank but not start- later in the day it started right up as soon as I turned the key- I suspected a bad fuel pump because it sounded like no fuel and since high mileage and the pump didn't cycle on- OK got a new pump- emptied most of the tank(-it was full-)drove it over to mechanic & had it installed by mechanic-Old pump was in bad shape- installed a New OEM pump by the way- worked great started right up -ran even smoother-no problems at all since new installation--3 wks passed now-- yesterday Sunday I get in van to start it--engine cranked but wouldn't turn over .Sounded just like it did before I put new pump in-- I was in my driveway yard-So I called Triple A- just to see - he cked out Battery (from 2010)- Battery was still great- He went underneath van and told me to start it- all it would do was crank and not start- He said -"it sounds like it could be a fuel issue or a poor spark"-and i smell gas fumes-- That's all he could do but offer me a tow to a repair station- I belayed that and sent him on his way. I just filled the tank on Sat at my usual station-did errands, the day before- no problems -van runs great-All day Sun Van doesn't start up-- Today-Monday I get in van and it starts right up on first turn of the Key!- as a matter of fact I started it 2 more times and moved it around the yard- not to take a chance of getting stuck someplace I used my other car- Tune up was done in 2012 at 100,000--new starter 2011-- so any suggestions of what to check/diagnose by the numbers- I have a OBD II- I'm handy-before I take it to a station before spending more bucks this Holiday Season
Thanks -99expressman

Last edited by 99expressman; December 1st, 2014 at 9:27 PM. Reason: left out info
Old December 2nd, 2014, 8:32 PM
Administrator

Received 157 Likes on 155 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

If you post your question in the van section of the forum, you'll get more views.
Old December 4th, 2014, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Chevy Express-mystery not starting

Hi-73shark-
Yes Thanks for your welcome & suggestion- that's just what I did after some more perusing & received a good reply

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! 99expressman
Old May 24th, 2023, 7:45 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Overdue for cap with 22,500 on cap? I have been under the impression the cap was good for 100,000K Did I miss something??? 02 Express 3500 350
Old May 24th, 2023, 10:44 AM
Super Moderator

Received 615 Likes on 556 Posts

@jjrbus why are you hijacking somebody's 9 year old question about ignition in the "New Member Welcome Area"? Please go to the van section and start a new thread. Thanks.