New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Aveo key fob electronic issues

Search this Thread

Old July 17th, 2014, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Aveo key fob electronic issues

Hi, I am RS, I purchased a 2010 Aveo from a chevy dealership in Feb. They replaced the fuse block in March. I have had no other issues until this past week:

Day 1) get in car to do errands-- shut door, door ding keeps going. Start car, try opening and closing door a few times, keeps dinging with door closed. Decide to do errands-- after driving about 5 minutes, door dinging stops.
Get to destination, stop car, go to take key out of ignition, key gets stuck in ACC position. Try several times, starting and stopping car, checking tires straight, in park, etc. Key still would not move from ACC position. Decide to forget errands and head home, park, try to remove key again. Key still does not go beyond ACC position. Call AAA, they arrive an hour later, key still stuck. AAA locksmith attempts to solve problem. Removes streeing column cover, and under dash cover, looking for neutral safety switch. Cannot find it, makes a few calls, all the while door is open, no dinging. Suddenly, door starts dinging, I pull out key from ignition easily. AAA says he did nothing, mystified. Test key / starting/stopping/ key removal several times, all working ok. Attempt to lock car up with fob button, door lokcs do not depress. Try a few times, no luck. Open door to manually lock, alarm goes off. So key fob set alarm but would not lock or unlock doors.
Day 2) yesterday- bring car to different chevy dealership for service (closer to home), they have it for two days. Look at everything, check everything, everything in working order. Checked that fob was synced with system, etc. Did not find any problem, had no problems with electronics, doors, keys, etc..
Day 3) Today- I go to pick up car from dealership service. Chatted with guy, going over what they checked, that they did not find anything wrong. he tests keys/fob and door several times with me there, they work fine, and then one key fob (I had both sets on hand) has problems locking door. he tests again a few more times, then it works fine. He starts car, door not dinging when open. We chat some more with car running, suddenly doors lock.
We decide I will take car to have for weekend, will bring back monday morning, I drove off. I stop, stop car, go to pull out key-- Key Stuck in ACC!. Try a few more times, key still stuck. I drove home, try again after parking, key still stuck. I go get gas, get back home, try again, key still stuck. I call dealership to inform them it happened again, and I will bring car back monday am.
Key is still stuck in ignition, in ACC position. Dealership thinks they can resolve, but will be at least $200.
Thoughts?
FYI, I did not go back to original dealership, because they gave me so many troubles about fixing other unrelated issues with the car, and took 9 weeks for them to get car in passable condition for state inspection, I do not trust them or their work.
FYI- finances are VERY tight, so a miracle would be nice.
Thank you all--
Old July 18th, 2014, 8:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is this a manual car or automatic transmission?

If an automatic - are you sure park is engaging?
Old July 19th, 2014, 8:13 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yes, automatic, yes, most definitely in park. Other issues indicate this is an electronic problem. does have after market remote starter, service suggested removing that will solve issues.