New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

best used pickup on a cop's salary?

Search this Thread

Old August 28th, 2013, 3:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default best used pickup on a cop's salary?

Let me start off by saying that I have no bias towards any particular truck brand. I am posting this question on Chevy, Ford, and Dodge forums in an attempt to get the best info possible. I realize most people tend to be loyal to one brand or another, so everyone's opinion and experiences will be a little different. However, I am looking for as close to unbiased answers as I can get. FYI...I know I want a full size / half ton pickup, so I don't need any recommendations for small or midsize tacomas, frontiers, etc. Also, I've read how awesome diesel trucks can be, but I prefer a gas engine.

-I am looking at buying my first pickup truck and it will have be a used one.
-I need opinions on the most reliable, easiest to maintain, longest lasting, best hp & torque, best mpg, lowest cost to insure, etc etc...best bang for my buck used truck I can get.
-This will NOT be my daily driver, nor will I be towing/hauling regularly. It will be mainly a secondary vehicle used for home projects (load of gravel or bark, wood supplies, misc home repairs, etc), moving furniture, taking a load to the dump, and going on camping trips.
-I live in the Seattle/Tacoma area, so I don't get a ton of snow. I'm not even sure if four wheel drive is worth the extra money and possible maintenance costs.
-I prefer the look of a regular cab, but an extended cab might be nice for additional seating when my wife and I have kids.
-I die a little inside each time I have to drive a vehicle with an automatic transmission or the sissy paddle shifters, but I know the manuals have just about been completely fazed out and an auto would be easier for my wife to drive if she ever needed to.
-I'm hoping to find a pickup that will last me at least 10 years and be fairly trouble free (except for routine maintenance).

Please share your opinion on the "best bang for my buck used truck" I can get at roughly the following price points...$2500, $5000, and $10,000.

Please include make, model, year, engine, 2 or 4 wheel drive, auto or manual transmission, regular/extended/crew cab, mileage/hours too expect, etc...
Old August 28th, 2013, 5:57 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great to hear from you conradgw6947! Welcome
Old August 28th, 2013, 9:55 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not biased at all toward any make. I like and dislike all for various reasons. What ever you do do not buy a 2005 -2007 Ford truck with a 5.4L 3 valve the 8th digit of the vin as a 5. It is a terrible engine with lots of problems and most likely will not last . Google it to see what I am talking about.

Last edited by MDTAHOE; August 28th, 2013 at 10:00 PM.
Old August 29th, 2013, 1:03 PM
CF Beginner

Good to know. Thanks MDTahoe.
Old September 2nd, 2013, 3:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default Flatbed

I just bought a 1984 high Sierra 454 with a 4 speed manual, granny low. Rebuilt motor with a 1000 miles on it. No rust whatsoever in the standard cab and a home made 8' flatbed. It didn't come with a oil cooler or a power steering pump cooler. 2 core radiator and no a/c.Guys dad died before he could finish it all. All it needed to be roadworthy is two front tires. I bought it to carry a non cabover 10' Alaskan camper. Got it off craigslist, guy was asking $2800, I paid $2300. It might need a throwout bearing or transmission rebuilt as it makes some noise sometimes when clutch is in, but it will be a lot easier to fix than a automatic. I will probably add a aftermarket air conditioner by next summer. What I like best is no computers and it has a carburetor. I am also going to add a Holley carb and headers this winter.

Good luck finding a decent used truck, I also have a 2007 new body style Chevy 2500 HD crewcab longbed 4x4, but for backcountry hign mountain camping I prefer the old dually!