New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Good friggin' evenin' from west Houston!

Search this Thread

Old May 29th, 2014, 7:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good friggin' evenin' from west Houston!

Hey guys...

New member to the forums. Not new to vehicles, destruction, high revs, or busted knuckles by any means...but it's been a while since I was on a vehicular social platform, so I have returned to one that is beneficial to my ever expanding garage!

Name's Jake, aka Big Jake, aka Turbo, aka Cash, aka "who the F$&% are you and why are you in my bedroom?".

Alright. Well. Only one of those was made on impulse and (slightly) exaggerated.

Now for the reason I've become acquainted with this forum and hopefully will befriend many of you folks on here, both electronically and in the flesh. As far as my garage, I've got a 2012 Chevy 1500 that's almost paid off (wooHOO!) with a 4.8 in it and around 25K miles. The other Chevy is a 1930 Chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed utility truck...which is actually paid off. Interesting story with this one. It was purchased brand new (like all trucks are at some point or another) from my great grand-father. This baby is fully loaded, meaning he paid extra ($118-125 additional if my research is accurate) as well as electric start. He drove it for a while, then my grandfather came back from the war and bought a new Buick and left our farm outside of Liberal, KS chasing oil down here in Houston, Texas. Shortly after, his father passed away. Then....his precious 1930 Chevy, to which I have now named Dorothy due to living by Liberal, KS, sat. She sat up until I made a trip to the farm to go find the 1929 International Tractor that my grandfather always wanted to rebuild. Never having done a tractor (I've done motorcycles, boats, cars, trucks... all of it. Never a tractor) I wanted to go check this thing out and see about restoring it. Upon inspecting the farm, I found Dorothy. I was so ecstatic about seeing it sitting there 90% or so complete, I did some talking in the family and found out it had been sitting for 60+ years...and was still actually only ever owned and driven by Sid, my great-grandfather. A few months later, I made a trip to Liberal to excavate Dorothy from sitting on the frame in dirt and bring her home. She now resides in Sugarland, Tx awaiting restoration. Seeing as it came from Kansas, there is little to NO rust. The only rust I've found was inside cylinder #2 from the valve being open and water getting in through the valve cover vent hole. But, I have torn the engine down and removed it without breaking or stripping one single bolt! The steering and brakes are also still functional.

Seeing as the last 1 1/2 years has been me getting a couple of businesses off the ground, I've had zero funds to put into her. However, that's all changing here in a couple months, optimistically. So the 2012 will be getting some work done (Thinking a 6.2L build) as will Dorothy be receiving a full restoration. She'll be getting restored to be as identical as she was on the day she was new, seeing as the original engine and all components are in it as well as it being family owned. My grandfather is no longer around to see her, so I've got to make it look like it was the way his dad (whom I never got the opportunity to meet) bought it and make both of them proud!

I know. I know. Shut up. I'm almost done yapping so you guys can see pictures of her. The 2012 is pretty basic, so I'll only include a picture of her, but you'll get to see a few of Dorothy!

Other information - I'm a 26 year old male living in Katy, Texas, about to take a position as a district manager for a fortune 300 company (thanks to my stacked resume) with no kids (...that I'm aware of...) who just loves to take advantage of life and making this short stay on earth as great as I can.

Now, for some eye candy!

Here is how I found her on the farm:

Getting her into a shop my buddy and I had

Some engine tear down

The only rust I've seen on the vehicle thus far..... Gonna need to sleeve'er up!

A couple other cool pics I took...and have a couple framed in my house:

Getting pulled behind the '12!

And of course, the 2012

I greatly looking forward to asking and answering both intelligent and ignorant questions on here and meeting many of you!
Old May 29th, 2014, 8:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool. Did you need to PB Blaster any bolts to get them out?

Are you going to paint it or clear it?
Old May 29th, 2014, 9:31 PM
CF Beginner

Hey there buddy,

I actually saturated the entire front end with PB Blaster for a couple of days before even attempting anything just to make sure it would come apart smoothly.

It'll all be getting painted. I'd like for it to resemble how it was new, as closely as possible. But, I also want the work that I do to stay for a while, so I'll likely clear the paint to keep it in good condition for longer periods of time!
Old May 29th, 2014, 11:45 PM
Senior Site Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome, GM(loose)Nut! Make sure to browse the forum for more info about your car and feel free to post any specific questions you have about your vehicle in the tech sections.
Old June 3rd, 2014, 10:16 AM
CF Beginner

Welcome. I'd like to ask questions about your truck here but I see this section isn't for technical questions, So do you have a post about the truck in another section of this forum?
Old June 4th, 2014, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Hey there buddy,

Feel free to ask any questions you'd like to about the truck. I don't currently have it in another thread, so go ahead and post whatcha got and I'll happily respond with answers to the best of my ability!