New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New to Chevy!. Malibu Maxx Opinions

Search this Thread

Old July 2nd, 2006, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Chevy!. Malibu Maxx Opinions

Hey All,

Glad to find this fourm. I am contemplating on getting a 04 or 05 Malibu Maax (used, pre-owned whatever but not new)....

For a while I have been driving a 1996 Taurus GL. Has 152 K miles now and have not had any major issues. The vulcan motor and tranny are great!. (I did thown in a tranny cooler etc a while back).

Now I am here to get some opinions on the Maxx.

- general comments?
- Is the car easy to work on for the average DIYer? I hear it has an electric power streeting? How reliable is this?
- What is the reliability of the 3.5 pushroad motor? My Taurus has a pushrod motor too and it does not burn a drop of oil even at 152K.
- I hear compaints about the quality of the interior plastics breaking off etc?
- Is the 2005 Maxx more refined that the 2004 (04 might have more bugs)

thanks for any opinions helping to make a decision...
Old July 8th, 2006, 3:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to Chevy!. Malibu Maxx Opinions

In mt opinion, I'd get the regular Malibu, but you get what you want, it will be your car not mine.

GM has used pushrod engines forever, and though they have been mocked for sticking to the old style of engine (vs. VVT engines, which the 3.5 might be), if you look at GM's pushrod engines, they are well-known for reliability. The 3.8, 3.4, 3.1, etc.

I think GM cured some of the plastic problem by the time of the knew Malibu/Malibu Maxx. You shouldn't have to worry about it much, GM's plastics never broke anyway, they barely even LOOK cheap, just feel cheap.

Overall, the Malibu Maxx will be a good car. Of course, though, there will be a bad one here or there. I'd take a new Malibu any day.

Take care and God bless,
1ND-hoppe