New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New guy here

Search this Thread

Old April 8th, 2011, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New guy here

Hello,

My name's Charlie and I'm new to the forum. I've never owned a vehicle other than a GM product, and never will. I'm into older cars, and finally after years of wanting one I got one, a 1966 Impala Sport Sedan. I'm in the process of tearing the car apart (I'm poor, and I've never done body work), and discovering what it needs.

Amazingly the fenders have no rust, save for one spot that's pitted a little on the back driver's side lower quarter panel. Once I tore the carpet out....well, let's say full floor pans are on the way. The passenger side toe board needs replacing, sadly I can't find them for a 1966 Impala. I also have discovered some horror (from what I hear, the worst place to have rust) in the form of pinholes that let me peek through near each corner of the rear windshield.

It sucks, I don't know how to weld or fabricate metal. I doubt I can afford what a body shop will charge to weld in metal. I really do not want body filler or fiberglass there...it maybe fine, but for some reason it makes me uncomfortable to think about using it.

I wish I could find a panel for that area like they make for the rest of the car, I can find fenders, doors, floor pans, hoods, anything else except toe boards and a rear window channel.

I wanted to buy a small mig welder and practice welding on an old 74 Chevy truck fender that's half rotted behind a shed. If I ever get the window fixed I plan to paint the car soild black, and redo the interior in black as well.

The original 327 in the car was replaced sometime with a 305, that'll do for me as I don't care about racing much anymore.
Old April 8th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried to attach 3 pics, the first two are of my car and the 3rd one is SORT of what I want to do to mine.
Attached Thumbnails New guy here-dsc00388.jpg   New guy here-dsc00405.jpg   New guy here-chevy1.jpg