New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

TAHOE GAS LEAK

Search this Thread

Old March 29th, 2007, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TAHOE GAS LEAK

I have a 1999 Chevy Tahoe...when I first got it (used) I put 23.5 gallons into the 21 gallon capacity tank....the pump did not shut off at the station, and I looked down and saw a virtual swimming pool of gas around my feet! Gas was cascading out of the top of the gas tank like a waterfall...and did so for a long, long time. It was a mess.

Since then, I've been too afraid to fill the tank up all the way (can you blame me?) ...But I have a coupla questions...maybe someone out there that is knowledgeable can help me...

Is there an overflow hole at the top of the tank? What caused this mess?

Does it (an overflow hole) close back down after an incident like this...or do you think it is still open?

If it IS still open...or there is an opening at the top of the tank...could that be affecting the operation of the engine...you know...'cus sometimes there is vacuum pressure etc. in the operation of the fuel system? Maybe there's no vacuum now?

Could this be what causes my Tahoe to stall after it idles too long in one spot? (Or is taht a fuel pump problem?)

Thanks for the help!