Nova & Chevy II The Chevy II was introduced in the 1962 model year and quickly became one of the most popular models, with many trim levels and engines available. The RWD Chevy II/ Nova ended in 1979

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2017, 7:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car won't start

I bought a 68 Nova. Had some work done on the trans. Super T10 borg warner 4 speed. Took the console out and fixed the shifter linkages. I put it back together and it won't start. The dummie lights all work. Dome lights, headlights all work. The harness for the gauges is hooked up. The clip with two wires is clipped on the trans. I am assuming this is the neutral safety switch. I have one wire left. It also looks like they tried to make the wire longer putting an extension on the wire. I believe it is a hot wire. It is red. I have no idea were that goes. I did touch it to the fuse box and the starter kicked in. Not that that was a smart idea. This car used to have a shifter on the column with a automatic trans. They changed out the steering column with one that doesn't have a shifter. They put in a 4 speed trans. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old July 15th, 2017, 12:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 206 Likes on 180 Posts

Are you saying the starter engages when the wire is touched to a hot terminal even with the key off?
Old July 15th, 2017, 3:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Is there a switch on the clutch pedal?
Old July 17th, 2017, 5:40 AM
CF Beginner

When I have the key on I have all power to everything. It just won't turn over unless I touch this wire to the fuse box.
Old July 17th, 2017, 5:41 AM
CF Beginner

There is no switch on the clutch pedal. I sure was looking for one. Someone has changed the steering column and the neutral safety switch with it.
Old July 17th, 2017, 7:27 AM
CF Monarch

Received 343 Likes on 324 Posts

Check that red wire with a meter to see if it is hot. If it is already hot then touching it to another hot wire should not make the starter engage. Does the engine crank without that wire touching anything or does it do nothing until you touch that wire to the fuse box?
Old July 17th, 2017, 7:37 AM
CF Beginner

When I turn the key all of my dummie lights come on. The starter will not crank. When I touch the hot wire to the fuse box it will crank over. This is a red hot wire. I do not have a meter to check it. I have looked all over under the dash and I just can't find were it came from. Should I get a push button installed to start it? I would sure like to fix this though. Thanks for your help.
Old July 17th, 2017, 8:19 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

You can get a test light. Are you actually touching the wire in the fuse box to battery? My guess based on your posts, that is from the the key switch to the starter
Old July 17th, 2017, 9:18 AM
CF Beginner

From what I am seeing someone made this wire longer by crimping extensions to it. Why I have no idea. Just a dumb question. does this starter wire go directly to the ignition? Am I assuming it is one of the wires coming from the Solenoid that goes to the ignition switch? Is there any relays between the ignition switch to the starter Solenoid? This hot wire is a pretty heavy gage wire. I sure do appreciate you answering all of these questions. As far as touching it to the battery on the fuse box yes I did. Although once the car started the starter just kept engaging. Which makes since there is no relay to cut it off. Were in Gods name is this thing. I have looked everywhere? Or am I looking for the wrong things.
Old July 17th, 2017, 2:17 PM
CF Beginner

No. When the key is off nothing happens. When the key is on and you touch it the starter cranks but doesn't stop after the car is started.