Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1982 chevy p30 cranks but wont start.

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2012, 4:25 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 1982 chevy p30 cranks but wont start.

food truck died on the highway with no warning signs. just shut off and wouldnt start back up. It cranks, but wont start. Have run a tester on the plugs going into the distributor. Power going in but none coming out to the plugs. power stopped lighting up on the tester at the back end of the control module. replaced the module and still nothing. What is my next step. Im out of ideas unless i need to replace the whole distributor.
Old September 24th, 2012, 4:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by lonewolfbanhmi
food truck died on the highway with no warning signs. just shut off and wouldnt start back up. It cranks, but wont start. Have run a tester on the plugs going into the distributor. Power going in but none coming out to the plugs. power stopped lighting up on the tester at the back end of the control module. replaced the module and still nothing. What is my next step. Im out of ideas unless i need to replace the whole distributor.
Take the distributor cap off. Around the rotor is a pickup coil, inspect it closely. If there is ANY insulation worn off, ect. replace it. You replaced the module, my suspect is the pick up coil. Understand this isn't a 20 minute job. The distributor will /might have to come out. I cannot remember I had a 1/2 ton 350 82 with efi.
Old September 25th, 2012, 3:27 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1982 p30 distributor problems

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Take the distributor cap off. Around the rotor is a pickup coil, inspect it closely. If there is ANY insulation worn off, ect. replace it. You replaced the module, my suspect is the pick up coil. Understand this isn't a 20 minute job. The distributor will /might have to come out. I cannot remember I had a 1/2 ton 350 82 with efi.
Thank you very much, i have decided to go ahead and replace the whole distributor because it seemed like more work to take everything apart to get to the pick up coil. I'm trying it today so ill post the results. Thank you again.
Old September 25th, 2012, 8:46 PM
CF Beginner

So, i replaced the entire distributor, no go. Same thing. Cranks but doesnt start. I took out the old coil on top of the old distributor cap and discovered the wires were burnt up badly. Replaced the coil with a brand new one and still cranks but doesnt start. Put screwdriver in plug wire and still wont arc. I am at a complete loss here. Can it be a fusible link? I need help bad.
Old September 25th, 2012, 8:52 PM
CF Monarch

How about the distributor cap, and rotor, ?
Old September 25th, 2012, 8:57 PM
CF Monarch

Do you have the old module? If so, on top of what I suggested, replace it with the old one. Is there an auto parts store that can test the module. If all else no go, take the module to get it test. Another thing, if the module dosen't work, and tests bad, buy a new one, AND have it tested before you leave the auto parts store. With the pickup coil, did it come with a small tube of paste? If so, did you apply it?
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:19 AM
CF Beginner

Do you have the old module? If so, on top of what I suggested, replace it with the old one. Is there an auto parts store that can test the module. If all else no go, take the module to get it test. Another thing, if the module dosen't work, and tests bad, buy a new one, AND have it tested before you leave the auto parts store. With the pickup coil, did it come with a small tube of paste? If so, did you apply it?
I actually just noticed in my part box that i did not apply the tube of paste. I am assuming to both sides of the rubber washer. So i guess next step is taking the coil back out and reassembling it. The old coil wires were totally burnt up, actually just the red wire and part of the black. Any idea what would cause the coil to burn out like that? I assume this will be my next plan of action if the replaced coil doesnt fix the problem.
Old September 26th, 2012, 11:21 AM
CF Beginner

How about the distributor cap, and rotor, ?
the cap and rotor still looked brand new, however i went ahead and bought replacements and will be putting them on today. Ill let you know what happens. Thank you for all your trouble shooting.
Old September 26th, 2012, 12:50 PM
CF Monarch

Recheck your electrical connection. Depending on your hei, you should have around 9 volts to the distributor with key on, check that. I am assuming you have checked the fuse.