Other All other Chevrolet model related talk within.

1990 Chevy G20 Clunk

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2014 | 10:47 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1990 Chevy G20 Clunk

Hello,

I recently changed the transmission fluid and filter on my G20. Since then I have a clunk noise coming from whats sounds like the middle of the van. It only happens when I'm at low speeds and I start to accelerate or stop. Basically, the jerking moments when starting and stopping at stop signs and such. Once it gets going there's no noise at all. When I changed the fluid I removed the cross bar(?) that goes under the transmission in order to get the pan off. Then reinstalled it by jacking it up into place. I couldn't get it up by hand. It was too heavy with the transmission and other weight. Anyway, the transmission shifts fine and the van seems to ride fine, but the noise is really annoying. Obviously, something isn't right. Any ideas? I hope I didn't screw anything up when changing the fluid.

Thanks,

Dan
Old May 12th, 2014 | 12:20 PM
Super Moderator

Greetings Dan, welcome to the Forum.

It sure sounds like you missed putting the Transmission Support (crossbar) back properly. Check all the Bolts to the Frame and Transmission again. You might have someone else take a look as well. Possibly IF there is more than one placement/adjustment that can be used, consider a relocation to allow good clearances between the transmission/body.
Old May 12th, 2014 | 8:36 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by SWHouston
It sure sounds like you missed putting the Transmission Support (crossbar) back properly. Check all the Bolts to the Frame and Transmission again. You might have someone else take a look as well. Possibly IF there is more than one placement/adjustment that can be used, consider a relocation to allow good clearances between the transmission/body.
Thanks, I'll check the bolts on the transmission support. The two outer bolts are fixed spots. I think there's a center bolt that goes vertical. I check that one out and see what's up.

-Dan